Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: chassis number
steveholmes

posted on 6/9/05 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
chassis number

Any help anyone.. new to kit cars and computers .. but maybe right or wrong just bought an almost complete mk indy with R1 engine.. needs SVA.

I am wanting to put a chassis number on, do the digits/letters have to be a certian size, on the chassis or just on a plate on bulkhead ??

I have asked DVLA about chassis numers, they say they need a inspection before issuing a number.. but also heard it is ok to " create " your own as long as it is unique and 17 characters...

pifular

posted on 6/9/05 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
i dont think size matters (this time) i have mine punched onto a major chassis rail and on a riveted ally plate.
Aboardman

posted on 6/9/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I belive that the vin plate letters should be 4mm high and the chassis should be stamped with letters 7mm tall.

regards

Andrew

Humbug

posted on 6/9/05 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Several other threads on this topics, including

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=29565

DarrenW

posted on 7/9/05 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Ive just sent a letter to my local DVLA requesting info (im hoping a knowledgable person will call me). I have proposed a number in the letter to gauge their response. Some offices let you and some dont - worth checking.

Main point of my letter is to arrange build up inspection prior to SVA.

Probs best to hijack the other thread with these new Q's to keep as much data as poss in one area - im only saying this so i can do my search easier later!!!

[Edited on 7/9/05 by DarrenW]

john_p_b

posted on 7/9/05 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
give your local dvla office a call and arrange a build inspection, it's pretty painless, all he does it takes engine number and basicly determines if you can have a age related plate or not.

as for chassis number, let them issue this also. yes you could make your own but how would you know if it's unique or not without checking with dvla?

also on the letter i got from dvla with my vin number it stated that the marking stamped into the chassis must be at least 6mm in height.

Hellfire

posted on 7/9/05 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john_p_b
as for chassis number, let them issue this also. yes you could make your own but how would you know if it's unique or not without checking with dvla?

If your chances of winning the lottery by picking six random numbers is 14,000,000 to 1, then I reckon that similarly, your chances of duplicating a 17 digit alpha numeric VIN number must be..........

hang on a minute............................

a hell of a lot worse

Humbug

posted on 8/9/05 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
If your chances of winning the lottery by picking six random numbers is 14,000,000 to 1, then I reckon that similarly, your chances of duplicating a 17 digit alpha numeric VIN number must be..........

hang on a minute............................

a hell of a lot worse

...According to Excel, 35 (25 letters excluding I + 10 digits) to the power of 17 comes to 177,482,997,121,587,000,000,000,000, i.e. a hell of a lot worse, as you say

Peteff

posted on 8/9/05 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
winning the lottery by picking six random numbers is 14,000,000 to 1

Slightly better than not entering at all then . I always thought that if you used your National insurance number plus a few more you would be pretty safe.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.