Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mig welders
Falkolocost

posted on 22/9/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Mig welders

Im going to purchase the welder im going to be using for my build and have a few questons.
Can i buy a gasless mig welder?
Which welders can i plug directly into the wall?
Should i buy used or new?
What other equipment will i have to buy? wire, spools, mask ect.

whats the total cost im looking at to get started?

All replys will be greatly appreciated.
Dave f.

lexi

posted on 25/9/05 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn`t bother with gasless. Get mig of 130 amp or thereabouts. I think you can go to about 150amp and still plug in domestically Instant type mask is a big advantage for a beginner. Adapt your machine to a commercial type regulator and medium sized industrial bottle. Gloves wire brushes and a very thin leather type hat. All in about £270? You will find many other uses for your welder so I would not see it as an out and out build cost. They are brill for making one of tools!
Alex
Alex

millenniumtree

posted on 30/9/05 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote
I have what may seem to be a really stupid question, but it's somewhat important to me.

Can you get gloves and other equipment that is not made of animal hide (leather)?

I would prefer some sort of synthetic material. I have some work gloves that look and feel exactly like suede leather, but are synthetic. I don't think they would hold up to heat the same though.

Also, does 130 amp mean that it will be drawing 130 amps from the wall? Standard house circuits here are 20 or 40 amp! 80 are reserved for electric ovens if I'm not mistaken. So a 130 amp draw would blow my breaker.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
saigonij

posted on 3/10/05 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
no, i dont think it will draw that amount through the wall socket, remember that the plug still has a 13amp fuse in it!!!

i dont know how it does it ( reduced voltage, increased amps, or what ever ) but the outcoming at the tip will be max 130amps.

the SIP mig130 is a good welder. i have one of those.

G.Man

posted on 3/10/05 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Make sure you use an auto darkening helmet as well...

Makes life so much easier, I have never caught Arc Eye with an auto helmet...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

caber

posted on 3/10/05 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I think you should use heavy leather gauntlets, all plastic things will melt or burn with the heat you will encounter, there is nothing worse than a burn with melted plastic in it it will take a very long time to heal and will scar very badly. Risks of not wearing gauntlets are sunburnt hands and the odd tiny burn from flying sparks, if you feel that strongly about animals go bare handed, just remember to pick up anything you have worked on with tongs or pliers

Caber

flak monkey

posted on 3/10/05 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by millenniumtree

Also, does 130 amp mean that it will be drawing 130 amps from the wall? Standard house circuits here are 20 or 40 amp! 80 are reserved for electric ovens if I'm not mistaken. So a 130 amp draw would blow my breaker.

Look up some articles on transformers on google. They step down the voltage, and step up the available current. All to do with P=IV. Infact if you step the volatge down 5x you step up the available current 5x. Pretty simple really.

So your welder will have an open circuit voltage of something like 20V. 12x less than the mains voltage (240V). So from that 13amp 240V supply you can draw 20V at 156amps.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.