Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anti roll bar?
Hasse

posted on 12/10/05 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Anti roll bar?

Hi,

I´ve been thinking of making a front anti roll bar, since my car seems to have a bit over stearing. My knowledge about these are however very limited, so.. any suggestions on how to proceed?

Are you using anti roll bars?

Anybody knowing of how the ones on the Caterhams are designed? Dimmensions, material and so on.

Hasse

gustavo_brum
Junior Builder

Posts 17
Registered 31/7/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: modified locost, chevette running gear,VW engine

posted on 12/10/05 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
stiffening front springs and softening the rear might do and you won´t go through the trouble of welding brackets and such. Unless the front is already too stiff. Increasing compression damping of the front shocks also simulates stiffer springs. This will make the front end slip more.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 12/10/05 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
First question what spring rates are do you have ? Most Locost seem to be set up too stiff at the rear it may be that the best approach is to fit softer the rear springs rather than stiffen the front by fitting an anti-roll bar. Whatever you do only change one end of the car at a time. On a very light car provided the chassis is stiff enough and nothing is grossly wrong with the suspension geometry a small change in spring rate should make a big difference in the balance of the car.
But if you want to fit a bar I would consider getting special bolts made up for the bottom of the front damper units that will take the anti-roll bar links.

It is really not a good idea to stiffen the front dampers up to try to reduce oversteer, while it may reduce intial steering response making the turn-in less sharp it won't alter the constant radius oversteer/understeer balance at all and especially on a very light car like a Locost going a couple of clicks too hard on the damping can cause total and complete loss of control in the blink of an eye.

[Edited on 12/10/05 by britishtrident]

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 12/10/05 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Springs and bars

Ideally you should run the softest springs you can (front and rear) so you do not ground the chassis all of the time or hit the bump stops all of the time. This will theoretically give you the most grip.

To balance the car add front bar until it is nuetrally balanced.

If you get it balanced but it still rolls too much, then up the spring rates all round by equal amounts, (to retain the balance).

I would avoid using a rear bar as it will sacrifice power on grip.

Making you own bars is tricky. An anti roll bar is effectively a torsion bar spring so should be made of a spring steel. You can get away with mild steel if you do not approach the yeild of the steel, ie a long bar with long arms (so effectivly the bar doesnt actually twist much).

Dampers is another story.......

John

ChrisGamlin

posted on 12/10/05 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Also check your front and rear ride heights, if its too high at the back then that will reduce grip at the back.

I recently dropped mine 1/2" at the back as an experiment and I can honestly say that it's the single biggest improvement Ive ever made to improve rear end grip, and that includes upgrading to tarty dampers, putting in an LSD, trying different spring rates, and adding a front ARB

Chris

britishtrident

posted on 12/10/05 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
How soft you can go on the front is to large extent limmited by how well bump steer is sorted out on you car.

Unlike a coil spring with an anti-roll bar mild steel is generally OK as a material because the strain is usually works out just within the elastic limmit of mild steel.

[Edited on 12/10/05 by britishtrident]

Hasse

posted on 13/10/05 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your replies!

My car is a very standard "book build" with a 1600X-flow. Dry weight is 540kg with almost 50/50 distribution front/rear when empty. The dampers are "Nitrons" specified to 275 lbs front and 175 lbs rear.

Any opinions on the choosen springs?

/Hasse

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.