Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: pipe dream?...need advice
MC_jr

posted on 15/10/05 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
pipe dream?...need advice

So I've been looking around and so far i think the stalker v6 is the best option but the kit is like 6500USD plus the donor car which can be 1k-2k plus all the little odds and ends. I wasn't planning on spending more then 8k. Whats the best way to cut costs? any tips on getting the cost down..i.e. building my own frame to the specs of the stalker v6 then buying everything else I needs...things like that would help a lot. thanks in advance.
derf

posted on 15/10/05 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
check ebay there is a firm in upstate New York that builds frames for about 2k, they sell them on ebay for around $2500 It wont be quite as easy to finish as a complete stalker kit, but it will be a ready to go frame, then just build using as many parts as your donor can supply.

Building your own frame would be cheaper...

pbura

posted on 15/10/05 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
The NY company is Coveland Motorsports. They're building a copy of CMC's Miata-based IRS frame. Same chassis as Keith Tanner's.

He hasn't been that thrilled with the handling:

http://keith.miata.net/seven/

Pete

MC_jr

posted on 16/10/05 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
so i'm looking at 2500 for the frame 1-2k for the car, and 1500 for the body. what else am I gonna need besides parts from the donor car? can i use the cmc assembely guide since I'm using their frame?
Dale

posted on 16/10/05 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
I cant see spending that much on your donor car- hell I dont pay that much for a regular driver. But I am a cheap bastard.
For me 2 donor cars -88 tbird and 72 mgb plus seperate engine tranny combo and rebuild 850 cnd (for all) and I probably could have cut a couple hundred out of that if I had been more carefull.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

derf

posted on 17/10/05 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
If you look hard you can find a great donor alot cheaper than that, and if you use as much of it as you can, it will cost you alot less.

If you do the chassis yourself, including the cost of a welder should be around $700 (educated guess). I'm guessing by body you mean all the other stuff on chassis, seats, electrics, brakes, etc... The aluminum for the body cost me about $100, add the nose and dash which I bought from the now defunct CMC at $300, and the wheel wells off ebay for $70.

The more you do yourself the cheaper it is. I paid $250 for my suspension, or I could have bought it for closer to $400, plus it fits my application perfectly, although it is much harder to build from scratch (rather than wait for a package by mail) it is alot cheaper, fits perfectly, and it looks the way I want it to.

Alan B

posted on 17/10/05 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I may be biased, I'm a good friend of Dennis Brunton, but, if you have fallen for the Stalker (and it's easy to do) then I think you'll be disappointed if you don't dig a little deeper and get one.

If sticking rigidly to the budget is critical and time is less of an issue then there are alternatives,,.....but if you want a well proven, well developed car then you won't go wrong with the Stalker.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.