Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VIN on chassis
dom7

posted on 17/10/05 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
VIN on chassis

can the VIN be engraved on a plate and then fixed on the chassis by riveting or welding ?
DarrenW

posted on 17/10/05 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
i stamped mine onto steel plate then welded it to the chassis as advised by local DVLA office. Inspector also advised that i stamp / affix further VIN numbers in discreet areas as a security precaution.

I also intend to get a more decorative plate made up and rivet to bulkhead.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 17/10/05 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I made two plates - one for the bulkhead with all the info on and another to go on a chassis rail with just the VIN on it, both riveted in place, the bloke seemed perfectly happy with that during my inspection

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 17/10/05 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is riveted and didnt have any probs,drivers side seems to be the prefered spot but i have seen them elswhere.

I also purchased an engraving tool cheaply and etched the VIN onto the steel floor in front of the drivers seat,just thought it would add as security.

[Edited on 17/10/05 by bob]

DarrenW

posted on 17/10/05 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
For some reason my local office insisted on it being welded. I didnt argue - sounds like a good idea to me and the welder was ready so no probs. i think it is a good idea generally to make several identifying marks around the car. Ive been thinking of using a alphadot kit or similar just to give the potential lowlife something to think about.

marcyboy

posted on 17/10/05 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
Mine is riveted and didnt have any probs,drivers side seems to be the prefered spot but i have seen them elswhere.

I also purchased an engraving tool cheaply and etched the VIN onto the steel floor in front of the drivers seat,just thought it would add as security.

[Edited on 17/10/05 by bob]

well it was a secure place to etch a vin no'

RoadkillUK

posted on 17/10/05 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have one on a plate, held on with rivets and also have the number stamped on the chassis.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 21/10/05 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoobyis2cool
I made two plates - one for the bulkhead with all the info on and another to go on a chassis rail with just the VIN on it, both riveted in place, the bloke seemed perfectly happy with that during my inspection

Pete

re: "all the info on".................you don't need anything other than the VIN do you? I didn't think you did?

coovey

posted on 22/10/05 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I stamped mine on a bit ali then riveted it on to the chassis in the engine bay drivers side. DVLA Shrewsbury were happy with that.

Cheers

MozzieOwner

posted on 22/10/05 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
whats needed for a VIN number?

I have just bought a car (1 of only 11) so need to know what to put on a VIN plate and how do i get a vin number.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.