Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: diesel additives.
lewis635

posted on 20/10/05 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
diesel additives.

I finally bought a diesel car (Range Rover). I have never owned a diesel before and was wondering if the additives are any good and if so which ones should i use.
Thanks in advance

gazza285

posted on 20/10/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Every time you get in it put a fiver in the glove box. This will go towards the repair costs when it breaks down.

Seriously, I wouldn't bother with additives. If they did what they advertised then pump diesel would have it in already.

[Edited on 20/10/05 by gazza285]

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lewis635

posted on 20/10/05 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
yeah its fingers crossed on the repair bills hopefully i have bought a good one. thats what i thought about the additives, they would be added at the pump if it was so easy. The RR is slow as hell but a lovely car.

mark chandler

posted on 20/10/05 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
p38 is big intercooler and chip it if you want more power !

Alternative I,ve seen is bleeding LPG into the intake... sounds a bit scary but a few people advertise kits for this.

Regards Mark

Mark Allanson

posted on 20/10/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Forte helps at mot time

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

zilspeed

posted on 20/10/05 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Since I got Ye Olde Audi, I've just driven it hard. I'm sure it pulls slightly stronger now than when I got it.
No additives in the diesel - just drive it hard and give it oil and filters when required.

raccoonradar

posted on 20/10/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
agree with Forte for mot time . seen cars tested & fail smoke test & bottle of Forte in tank, run around block & pass with no prob, addatives probably not used in pumps so they get as much profit as poss, i think they would stand at the pumps & put they're hands in our pockets & take our loose change given a chance, not bitter of course
lewis635

posted on 20/10/05 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, will look into the forte stuff

Danozeman

posted on 20/10/05 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Diesels work well if u give them some now and again to clear them out. Especially if they have a cat. My passat does better mpg if i boot it abit rather than pootle about.

Additives are a waste. Just maybe some injector cleaner now and again.

Try and avoid city deisel if you can. Horrible stuff.

[Edited on 20/10/05 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

clbarclay

posted on 20/10/05 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Don't be put off by all the talk about repair bills etc. I've run one for about 23 years now. Easy DIY to work on and v. reliable. If you look cheap spares esp. bodybits when compared to any modern family four. However I admit the above really only applies to a classic .

Don't put a fiver in the glove box. Make it £25 to go towards the fuel. With the best will in the world they're not that economical, tho' 30+ to the gallon if a Mazda or Isuzu conversion.

Petemate

posted on 20/10/05 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Diesels are great. I've got an old Metro with the Cit/Pug 1400 in, and although the initial acceleration is a bit abysmal, once you get it wound up, boy does it go. Keep it below 70 and it does 60mpg easy. keep it below 80 (private roads of course....)and it will still do 50-55mpg. Got it April 2003 at 102000, now done 130000+. Went through the smoke tests on last 2 MOTs with flying colours. Mix of short & long runs, though more long than short, Oxford to LHR & back regular. Good little car with minimal running costs, & I make sure oil & filter changes done regular. No additives used ever, just good blatting all the time. On both MOTs I've done, all I did was to belt it and get it well warm.
Granted it is more comfortable and user friendly (and economical!!) than my RH, but nowhere near as much fun. On my familiar routes, I'm finding the kit is just as much fun as in my biking days.
Pete

Hellfire

posted on 20/10/05 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
30+ mpg - christ I get average 52 in my 2.0PDI Skoda Octavia - same as the old A4 1.9 (115TDi) I had, but with 140 bhp!

Ian Pearson

posted on 21/10/05 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
30+ mpg - christ I get average 52 in my 2.0PDI Skoda Octavia - same as the old A4 1.9 (115TDi) I had, but with 140 bhp!

I wish, I get 28 mpg if I stick to 60 on the motorway, 20 ish if I don't. Thinking of converting to veggie power.

[Edited on 21/10/05 by Ian Pearson]

bimbleuk

posted on 21/10/05 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
I personally wouldn't bother with additives but I do use a decent semi-synthetic engine oil. I change it every 5000 miles (15K miles this year already). I can feel the engine is more responsive and the cooling is better too after a change.

A4 TDi 150,000 miles

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.