Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kit and tin top insurance options?
Locost?

posted on 26/10/05 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Kit and tin top insurance options?

Hello all, i'm looking for some advice. This is the situation: I sold my tin top October 2004 and cancelled the insurance (having 17 years no claims). We only run one car now and I am now insured as a named driver on my wifes policy. I have just been told that with most insurance companies your no claims lapses after 2 years usually and you have to start from scratch which would be very expensive when I buy a new ferrari in a couple of years time .

Seriously though I am part way through my build and so I am thinking of starting a policy on my part built locost to keep my no claims 'alive'.

The questions are does anyone know if you can keep your no claims by doing this, approximately how much would insurance be on a part built locost, how long can you keep insurance on a part built car (its been in the making for over 4 years now) if there is a limit, can anyone suggest a good insurance company and can anyone suggest any other solutions.

David Jenkins

posted on 26/10/05 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
I can't speak for others, but my Adrian Flux limited-mileage policy has N/A in the 'no claims bonus' section.

They ask what your driving record is prior to giving you your first policy, and ask you if you've had any incidents in the preceding year when you renew, but don't give you any bonus. I doubt whether it would count for 'NCB maintenance'.

David

pajsh

posted on 26/10/05 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'd second that, policy I got was fully comp and ncd was not considered.

Why don't you do alternate years with your wife's policy to keep both current.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

colibriman

posted on 26/10/05 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
I buy a 'laid up' policy when I want to keep a policy no claims for a road car Im not using. costs about 6 quid a month.(tesco)

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 26/10/05 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
my kit insurance doesnt use NCB either, i believe its a standard thing.

Not sure what this laid up thing colin mentions is, but it sounds useful?! details please!

pajsh's idea sounds good too.

im trying to maintain 2 policies at once, as i have 2 and 3 years NCB on each respectively

[Edited on 26/10/05 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

colibriman

posted on 26/10/05 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Not sure what this laid up thing colin mentions is, but it sounds useful?! details please!

here goes...hope you understand this...

basically if you have a car you dont use you can insure it as 'laid up' - ie not covered for road use but covered parked at home. not sure what cover you actually have on it (I never asked because It's on a low value car).
I did this at their (tesco) suggestion because I wanted to cancel a fairly new policy for a second car. I had been insuring 2 cars for about 4 months(Alfa 145 and the Citroen Xantia.I also don't NEED 2 cars but like one as back up) I decided I didnt want to keep shellin out for a no NCD new policy ( £560) so when I called tae cancel it Tesco suggested this way of starting the build up of no claims.

So I figured if it costs me 60-70 quid a year and earns me 1 years no claims bonus (30%) it's not money totally wasted.. I see it as money well spent.

I have just reinsured the Alfa today for road use for the remainder of the policy

hope this helps!

cheers
Colin

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Strolls

posted on 26/10/05 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Locost?
We only run one car now and I am now insured as a named driver on my wifes policy. I have just been told that with most insurance companies your no claims lapses after 2 years usually and you have to start from scratch which would be very expensive when I buy a new ferrari in a couple of years time .

Looks like the answer is to insure the car in your name with your wife as named driver this year, then alternate back to her next year.

Stroller.

Snuggs

posted on 27/10/05 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strolls
quote:
Originally posted by Locost?
We only run one car now and I am now insured as a named driver on my wifes policy. I have just been told that with most insurance companies your no claims lapses after 2 years usually and you have to start from scratch which would be very expensive when I buy a new ferrari in a couple of years time .

Looks like the answer is to insure the car in your name with your wife as named driver this year, then alternate back to her next year.

Stroller.

A lot if insurance compaies are getting wise to this trick and are only allowing 1 year (or less in some cases)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.