Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: M1 unmarked car, J25-29 area.
Jon Ison

posted on 30/10/05 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
M1 unmarked car, J25-29 area.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=217661&f=113&h=0

gutball

posted on 30/10/05 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone here know the rules on being pulled by an unmarked car?
flak monkey

posted on 30/10/05 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly the same as being pulled by a normal cop car AFAIK.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

serendipity123

posted on 30/10/05 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
i never pull over for unmaked cars, , , i'm not being funny but maplin sell blue flasshy lights. . . . and no boy racer thieving chav is going to get there hands on my tin top . . .

[Edited on 30/10/05 by serendipity123]

iank

posted on 30/10/05 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

Except you never get a warning, always get a ticket - or so I've heard. He says, leaving himself open to 100's of 'I just got a warning' replies

[Edited on 30/10/05 by iank]

steve_gus

posted on 30/10/05 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by serendipity123
i never pull over for unmaked cars, , , i'm not being funny but maplin sell blue flasshy lights. . . . and no boy racer thieving chav is going to get there hands on my tin top . . .

[Edited on 30/10/05 by serendipity123]

That would be interesting if that went to court....

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
serendipity123

posted on 30/10/05 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
i did take it to court, and i won. police cars and there officers must be clearly maked, in the dark a ford focus with blue flashing lights in the front looks just like any other boy racer car thats trying to attack or rob me.

the officers claim they were pulling me over as i was speeding and one of my rear lights were out, , ,unfortunataly i part own a tracking company and showed the court gps evidence of my speed proving that the plods were telling tails

JoelP

posted on 30/10/05 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
should've sued them for a malicious prosecution

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

steve_gus

posted on 30/10/05 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I had something similar, it didnt go to court, but I did have a two tape interview in the police station!

I overtook a dawdler on the inside lane of a dual carriageway. A few days later i got a call from the police saying they were gonna do me for dangerous driving. The guy I overtook was a copper in his own car.

At the time, he basically chased me in a G reg Golf. I thought i had a nutter after me. I lost him eventually.

When I explained my side of the story, the guy stopped the tape, left the room and came back a few mins later saying that no action would be taken.

bastards

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave1888

posted on 30/10/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
why do people drive slow in the ooutside lane of dual carriageways when theres nothing on the inside lane.
steve_gus

posted on 30/10/05 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
and why is it seen as dangerous driving (the most serious offence) if you overtake them on the inside, which in countries such as the USA is seen as normal?

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

NS Dev

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

Except you never get a warning, always get a ticket - or so I've heard. He says, leaving himself open to 100's of 'I just got a warning' replies

[Edited on 30/10/05 by iank]

You may be right, I got a ticket years ago in a situation where i thought I would be let off. Midnightish on M11 at 94 mph, motorway completely empty except me and the unmarked rover 800.

NS Dev

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve_gus
and why is it seen as dangerous driving (the most serious offence) if you overtake them on the inside, which in countries such as the USA is seen as normal?

atb

steve

..................because unfortunately the law is an ass!

JoelP

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
indeed. The law is for the obediance of fools and the guidance of wisemen Sounds arrogant, but its fairly true.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

G.Man

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
quote:

atb

steve

..................because unfortunately the law is an ass!

Or rather, if we cant get it right with the present rules, what chance do we have when it changes...

The law is an ass, closely followed by the number of cloc'c and boloc's

Centre Lane Owners Club 'rs

British Outside Lane Owners Club'rs

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

NS Dev

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
indeed. The law is for the obediance of fools and the guidance of wisemen Sounds arrogant, but its fairly true.

never a truer word spoken

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/10/05 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I don't want to start tall tales thing but, i got pulled once for "appearing to conceal somthing in my lap" i should, in hindsight have said i was scratching my nuts. I did have a brake light out though

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

ned

posted on 30/10/05 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
my age old line that'd probably never work in practise, but i use to justify my own driving:

following the highway code i should be able to drive on the inside lane until i reach a car that i need to overtake on the right, not my fault if all the other buggers were not following the highway code and driving in the outside lane already with the inside lane(s) empty.

if undertaking is illegal it should be those who don't drive on the left, but drive on the right that should be prosecuted

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

steve_gus

posted on 31/10/05 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
my take on it is that in the states, as the law allows overtaking on both sides, then you expect that you may be overtaken on the 'wrong side' and take account of that. In the UK, if you are in the middle lane and pull over to the left, there is no way you would expect someone to zip up at speed to your left. Therefore, by our driving convention, its illegal.

Its just the convention that needs changing.

As far as I am aware, its illegal to zig zag between lanes, regardless of being able to overtake both sides.

Another neat trick in many states is that (our equivalent) is that you can turn left at traffic lights during a red. You have to watch for traffic, but it works quite well.

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

Hellfire

posted on 31/10/05 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I got pulled for very the same reason - undertaking (as I call it).

However, looking at the wording here...

"Overtaking" is a complete manouvere of passing then pulling into the lane in front of the vehicle you overtook.

Therefore, undertaking is passing the pulling into the lane in front of the vehicle you undertook.

So, I regularly "pass" on the inside make sure I leave plenty of room (100m~200m) before ample indication of my intentions then complete the manouvere. If you undertake then cut-up, expect to be 'done'. (BTW my Advanced Driving Instructor advised this.) I'm not a brilliant driver but I am careful, and in my book negotioating 3 lanes is a more dangerous manouvere than none. Besides you can always say you were getting off at the next junction, if they say "well you never took it" then say "I realised it was the wrong one"..

My 2p...

[Edited on 31-10-05 by Hellfire]

David Jenkins

posted on 31/10/05 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Another neat trick in many states is that (our equivalent) is that you can turn left at traffic lights during a red. You have to watch for traffic, but it works quite well.

Left? Across the junction?

I presume that you mean right!

Peteff

posted on 31/10/05 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I think he covered that with (our equivalent) David. I was out on my bike yesterday and I was following a Clio round some lanes as I was in no particular hurry to get anywhere. He was being a prick, speeding up and slowing down erratically and driving in the middle of the road so I hung back a long way and left him to it. We came to a dual carriageway and he promptly occupied the outside lane and stuck at 60mph. As the carriageway was practically empty I passed him on the inside without exceeding the limit and carried on in the same lane without any problem. Was that wrong? If it was I would think everyone is guilty of it at some point.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

greggors84

posted on 31/10/05 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

When i went over to see a mate in Alabama in March, this particular rule caught me out. We were driving down to Florida (he was driving) the first time he drove through a red light i crapped myself. Mainly because i was a bit disorientated and didnt know which way to expect the traffic to come from.

The other thing that i think is quite good about US roads is that at night at some of the cross roads they dont use the traffic lights anymore, just have a yellow light flashing and the main road gets priority (clearly marked). The amount of times i have been driving at night here and sat at red lights when no one else is on the road.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

gazza285

posted on 31/10/05 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84

The other thing that i think is quite good about US roads is that at night at some of the cross roads they dont use the traffic lights anymore, just have a yellow light flashing and the main road gets priority (clearly marked). The amount of times i have been driving at night here and sat at red lights when no one else is on the road.

Just like most of Europe.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

steve_gus

posted on 31/10/05 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thats exactly what I got the 'two tape interview' for, and was told it was dangerous driving with a possible prison sentance.

nice guys, corby police.

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I think he covered that with (our equivalent) David. I was out on my bike yesterday and I was following a Clio round some lanes as I was in no particular hurry to get anywhere. He was being a prick, speeding up and slowing down erratically and driving in the middle of the road so I hung back a long way and left him to it. We came to a dual carriageway and he promptly occupied the outside lane and stuck at 60mph. As the carriageway was practically empty I passed him on the inside without exceeding the limit and carried on in the same lane without any problem. Was that wrong? If it was I would think everyone is guilty of it at some point.

Just knock off the 's'!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.