Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I cant see a problem with this....
steve_gus

posted on 30/10/05 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I cant see a problem with this....

banning drinking of alcohol on public transport.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4390802.stm

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ian Pearson

posted on 30/10/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto.
raccoonradar

posted on 30/10/05 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea
The drivers sould be sober

I know people do drink when traving but how many are too pissed before they get
on ?

NS Dev

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yes this government does seem obsessed with banning things.

I hear the argument for banning, I don't want hassle from drunken yobs on the bus, but that is not a government issue and they should leave well alone.

The Labour nanny state seems to have plenty of time to dabble in minor issues like this and skirt around real issues that affect us all.

smart51

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
I hear the argument for banning, I don't want hassle from drunken yobs on the bus, but that is not a government issue and they should leave well alone.

Whose issue is it then? You seem to think it's a problem but if the government shouldn't sort it then who should?

JoelP

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
the police its an offense to be drunk in public, or to be drunk and disorderly Banning booze on trains is probably a good idea, but the core of the issue is both irresponsible drinking and yob culture (or lack of!)

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

smart51

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
People who oppose this say "one drink on a journey doesn't cause a problem so don't ban it." If people were having one drink then there wouldn't be a problem. The bigger picture is that so many people only drink to excess. The idea of only having one is alien to them. If "we" can't be responsible by ourselves then rules need to be drawn. It's a pity that things have to go as far as a proposed ban but the shame is that we behave so badly so often that we need a ban.
JoelP

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
we seem to share the same viewpoint here mate

might point out, many people in the UK, myself included, dont need a ban. I could be on a train pissed senseless and not cause anyone any bother! But some people arent good drunks i guess. Several of my mates in fact, but thats another story

[Edited on 30/10/05 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Mark Allanson

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Do they honestly think that drunken yobs will obey the new laws?
Very similar to the new speed limits, a good road near me was 60mph for years, then brought down to 50 about 3 years ago, then to 40 and is now 30mph. There was a nasty accident on it about 2 weeks ago, a tw@t in a Rav4 planted it into a tree doing 70mph, you could lowewr the limit to 5mph, but people will still drive to their perception of a safe speed.
Peoples perception of the right amount to drink, or the speed to drive needs to be altered, not blanket bans/limits.
Perhaps a new law limiting the number of laws any government can bring out in any one year, perhaps they would be more careful with the selection they brought out?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

raccoonradar

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Everybody speeds & people say a time & place for it. Its when the time & place meets head on at 60mph on your side of the road! Putting you in hospital for 2 weeks, 6mths off work 7 years of consultations
You would think he would do it just risking he’s life but no his girls friend was in the passenger side with a 6mths old baby on her lap (Not strapped in of course) just the time & place !

Chippy

posted on 30/10/05 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
There is absolutely no point in making rules, and regulations, that no bugger will ever enforce. You/we already have laws which can/should be used to deal with this problem, but it's the same old thing when you need a copper to enforce them, not a f*****g one to be found. Mind you try speeding, and a whole raft of the buggers are all over you like a bad suit.
iank

posted on 30/10/05 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Banning booze on trains will almost certainly put all the 'trolley dollies' out of work. Won't be able to get a overpriced coffee/bottle of water/kitkat anymore...

The chavs with their bottle of "just fizzy orange honest" will still be necking it down and causing grief.

steve_gus

posted on 31/10/05 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
I read it that they dont want actual drinking on public transport - its not wether you were pissed when you got ON the bus.....its drinking actually on the bus...

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
we seem to share the same viewpoint here mate

might point out, many people in the UK, myself included, dont need a ban. I could be on a train pissed senseless and not cause anyone any bother! But some people arent good drunks i guess. Several of my mates in fact, but thats another story

[Edited on 30/10/05 by JoelP]

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve_gus

posted on 31/10/05 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
you could lowewr the limit to 5mph, but people will still drive to their perception of a safe speed.

thats an interesting statement mark. Many people's justification of speeding is that 'the speed limits are not there for me, I drive at the speeds I thik are safe......'

This would be pretty good justification for speed cams - ie only way to make people slow down and not think they can drive at the speed they personally feel is safe......

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

Benzine

posted on 31/10/05 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
I'd like alcohol banned all together, but that's just me.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Jumpy Guy

posted on 31/10/05 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Im strongly against all of this ban.

what i think is needed is for the British Transport police to start enforcing the existing law regarding drunken behaviour on trains.

I regularly travel on the sleeper from Glasgow to London, and i dont think its unreasonable to have a glass of wine during the eleven hour journey....

NS Dev

posted on 31/10/05 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jumpy Guy
Im strongly against all of this ban.

what i think is needed is for the British Transport police to start enforcing the existing law regarding drunken behaviour on trains.

I regularly travel on the sleeper from Glasgow to London, and i dont think its unreasonable to have a glass of wine during the eleven hour journey....

Perfectly put, exactly my view.

If people behave in a manner which we do not like, perhaps we need to look at why they do it, not just legislate against it. That's like trying to carry water in a sieve. Cover one hole and it'll just find another.

MikeR

posted on 31/10/05 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
heck, i've even been known to have a beer on the London to Nuneaton train. After spending a hellish day on site, its nice to have a beer and relax as the train takes the strain.
NS Dev

posted on 31/10/05 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
.............. and everybody knows that you're a beer swilling thug Mike
ditchlewis

posted on 31/10/05 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Education.

this could all be avoided if kids were better educated and disiplined at school.

A short sharp shock with the effects if drink, smoking and drugs showing all the effects to the body these have should be given to children.

My fiance has a 6'3" 16 year old son, he and his friends think it is cool to drink them selves silly when they have the opportunity.

His grand father has just died of alcohol related illnesses, his father took him and his 13 year old brother on holiday and plied them with drink every night ( 2lts cider each). father has a serious drink problem and is a very bad example.

being 6'3" he can and get served with out question.

Samantha and I are trying to explain that drinking in moderation does not harm but drinking to excess can kill. Banning him will only sent him underground, it is better to educate and just say that he is acting a prat when he returns drunk.

Ditch

NS Dev

posted on 31/10/05 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
I think you are right. The only way to make anybody listen, particularly at that age, is to embarrass them dramatically or to let them learn by their mistakes.

Unfortunately the latter can sometimes come too late.

ch1ll1

posted on 31/10/05 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
i think its a good idea !
i carnt smoke on plane trains and so on, so why should you drink !

Mark Allanson

posted on 31/10/05 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve_gus
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
you could lowewr the limit to 5mph, but people will still drive to their perception of a safe speed.

thats an interesting statement mark. Many people's justification of speeding is that 'the speed limits are not there for me, I drive at the speeds I thik are safe......'

This would be pretty good justification for speed cams - ie only way to make people slow down and not think they can drive at the speed they personally feel is safe......

atb

steve

Speeding used to mean driving too fast, now it means driving above the new speed limits. I used to drive to St Ives at 50mph, thats 10mph below the speed limits, at the same speed now, I would be SPEEDING at 20 mph OVER the limit.

What I tried to point out was that you cannot legislate for idiots, all that happens now is that at the inquest, they say they were driving 60mph over the speed limit and not 30mph as it used to be.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

steve_gus

posted on 31/10/05 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
my laser van 'nick' in 2000 was 71mph on a 2 mile section of dual carriageway that was 70mph except for 2 miles at 60mph that was originally 70 too. I just forgot and the gits got me. Its stupid things like that that make you disrespect the police.

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

NS Dev

posted on 1/11/05 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
in a similar vein, though slightly daft in this case,

when exactly does a "speeding offence" start and stop?????????????????

If I drive from my house to a friends house, and complete the whole journey above the speed limit, and go though 4 cameras on the way, how many offences have I comitted?????

Surely only one?

The offence is speeding, not being caught on camera speeding surely??

If it were the case that I could be prosecuted for 4 seperate offences, then what is to stop the cameras being placed at 1 metre intervals and have the 4 offences in quicker succession???????

Surely then the presecution would struggle to prove the 4 seperate offences? If so, what is the requisite distance between cameras which constitutes seperate offence!?

Sounds silly but the whole principle of this confuses me. If the law is being portrayed as "black and white" and "right and wrong" then surely the law itself is rotally flawed in terms of enforcement???

Any legal eagles explain that one to me!!!

[Edited on 1/11/05 by NS Dev]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.