Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: any of these suitable
matt12

posted on 31/10/05 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
any of these suitable

sorry if this is a pea roast i remember writing it once but dont think i posted it

i havent a monkeys which models of the sierra are good for doner so advice if any of below are suitable would be great.

1989 FORD SIERRA LX AUTO RED
1990 FORD SIERRA SAPPHIRE L AUTO
1990 FORD SIERRA GLS I RED
1990 FORD SIERRA XR4X4 I RED
1992 FORD SIERRA LX MAROON

i realise the top 2 are auto's but do they have enough other bits to make them worth it if cheap ?

cheers

dave1888

posted on 31/10/05 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
The gls i would probably be your best bet as its likely to have discs at the back. You need to find out the engine size and type ie 2.0 pinto or dohc also which gearbox it has. The front hubs should all be same. I think the xr4x4 has got a lsd and rear discs but the gearbox is no good?
matt12

posted on 31/10/05 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
hi

the gls says 1,998 cc engine but not what type and manual gearbox. is that still best bet

i do like the sound of the rear disks though on the 4*4

dave1888

posted on 31/10/05 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
The gls should have rear discs. if the gls is a double overhead cam, i would avoid it
Messenjah

posted on 31/10/05 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
1998 cc = dohc

1993 cc = pinto
afaik

flak monkey

posted on 31/10/05 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Most sierras post 1988 were DOHC. Though there were a few pintos made with injection.

Think twice about fitting rear discs. They cost a fortune in comparison to drums to refurbish. You will also need to fit a bias valve or bar to limit the amount of braking at the rear so that you pass SVA (otherwise the rear wheels will lock before the fronts). You dont really need discs unless you want to do track days. on a car as light as a locost they dont offer much advantage.

If you want an LSD you will have to fit discs though as the disc and drum rear ends use different drive shafts.

The 4x4 front uprights will not be of any use to you. However it will be fited with an LSD so if you want to go that route, go for it.

If you want a pinto the only one ther elikely to have it in is the 1989 car. AFAIK.

David

[Edited on 31/10/05 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

scotty g

posted on 31/10/05 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
The 92 LX is a low spec car and almost certainly has a CVH engine, either 1.6 or 1.8. Both of these engines are not the most popular choices but will fit quite well into a Locost. You can always upgrade your motor later, the Cvh uses the type9 box (reverse is left and forward).
The GLS DOHC is a hefty lump with loads of grunt but it will fit, it uses the MT75 box (reverse is right and back). Most people dismiss the DOHC but a few here love them.

matt12

posted on 31/10/05 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
im all confused now. which model of sierra do most people go for?
flak monkey

posted on 31/10/05 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
If I was you i would try and get a 2litre pinto model with a drum braked rear end.

But at the end of the day, any sierra will make a suitable donor.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

JoelP

posted on 31/10/05 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
it depends on what you want. Pick whether you want discs or drums at the back, 240 or 260mm front discs (affects wheel choice) what ratio of diff, lsd or not, pinto, DOHC or other engine, quick rack or not and then you can start working out the ideal donor.

Bottom line is, no sierra is perfect. If you want a 2 litre pinto engine, get a pre88 car and its likely to be pinto. If you have other engine plans, then just base your choice on the other options

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

matt12

posted on 31/10/05 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
i'd like rear disks becaus ethey look better but are they much more of a faff than rear disks?

in terms of front disk do you just mean wheel size? in which case not overly bothered/

what is the advantage of the lsd?

i was thinking of doing a bec but i've got a gsxr600 i can get my speed fun on so i just want to build an average locost really

so i'd want sierra with most usefull parts.

JoelP

posted on 31/10/05 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt12
i'd like rear disks because they look better but are they much more of a faff than rear disks?

in terms of front disk do you just mean wheel size? in which case not overly bothered/

what is the advantage of the lsd?

i was thinking of doing a bec but i've got a gsxr600 i can get my speed fun on so i just want to build an average locost really

so i'd want sierra with most usefull parts.

i have no personal experience of fitting sierra discs to a kit, ive broken a few sierras with disc backends but never mess about fitting them. Drums are dead simple though, but i never mastered fitting the handbrake cable

front disc size, smallest is 240mm, it fits under a standard 13" wheel. The 260mm discs wont fit under most 13s, you would need either good advice as to what 13s fit, or just get bigger wheels. Get a donor with alloys and problem solved There are 283mm discs on some models, not sure which but probably the xr4x4s, i have little knowledge of these.

Advantage of LSD is much debated and disputed. It depends on your use. Pros are better traction in some situations, cons are allegedly more vicious when it bites. Search for LSD and you will find many threads futilely argueing the toss, to no obvious conclusion. I would start with an open diff for simplicity and cost, if you use a disc braked back end its a straight swap for the open diff.

As for engine, well, id pick a pinto cos its allegedly easier to fit, the wiring is certainly simpler. Several members have used the twincams, so its definately possible.

Your target seems to be just about any sierra! You probably want a non assisted rack, so id get an older car. Ages for engines have already been discussed above

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

matt12

posted on 31/10/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for that.
i think i'll keep it simple as poss.
now need to find a old sierra
ta for all replys

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.