Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Silencer Mounting
Gazza

posted on 9/11/05 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Silencer Mounting

Not sure on the best place to post this.....

JUst about to mount the silencer to the side of the Luego - the silencer is from RAW and has a mounting plate on the back - whats the best way of securing the silencer to the side of the car - I've got the rubber bobbin bolted to the silencer.

Do I:

a) mount the bobbin though the aluminium side panel with somthing to spread the load on the inside the panel?

b) mount the bobbin through the aluminium panel and bolt it into the nearest chassis member?

c) non of the above and theres a better method out there somewhere!!!

Appreciate your thoughts / comments....

Just a bag o' rusty spanners

Aboardman

posted on 9/11/05 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
on the "tigers" you bend a piece of steel plate into a L shape and bolt through with 2 bolts into the bottom chassis rails, this way it is not seen as the seats or carpet will cover it, i would not bolt through just the aluminium you would have to be through a chassis rail and going into a vertical rail means harder to fix internal panels.
DarrenW

posted on 9/11/05 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
i bonded an ali spreader plate onto inside of bodywork. Drilled through from outside and secured silencer via Fiesta engine mount (basically a rubber bobbin thing).

Humbug

posted on 9/11/05 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I did something that sounds similar - L profile steel bolted from underneath up through the chassis rail (I haven't got any inner panels so I have access to this rail from the inside). Also, I use a Land Rover engine mount as a bobbin. I used SVA bolt head covers for the inside, but as they are down by the side of the seat you don't see them much.

Here are urls to some pics in my archive:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=2005-06-11%202%20Locost%20new%20silencer%20support.jpg

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=2005-06-11%204%20Locost%20silencer%20strap%20on%20mount%20and%20support.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.