Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: would this make a good doner
matt12

posted on 18/11/05 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
would this make a good doner

by good i mean does it have most of the parts i need , i really hope it does because its ten minutes down the road from where i plan to build the car.

FORD SIERRA 1.8 1992
manual transmission

1992 J REG FORD SIERRA 1.8 CLASSING THIS AS SPARES OR REPAIRS DUE TO SLIGHT OVER HEATING PROBLEM

NEW BATTERY,STARTER MOTOR,FRONT BRAKES (DISCS AND PADS) RECONDITIONED ENGINE FITTED

thats all advert says, its on 65 quid at mo but prob go up a bit

[Edited on 18/11/05 by matt12]

ditchlewis

posted on 18/11/05 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Depends upon what you are building ?

It would make a good donor for any number of the kits, but would require you to change to book chassis to get it to work.

ditch

BKLOCO

posted on 18/11/05 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Be aware this will not be a Pinto.
1.8 CVH is what it will have in it.
An OK engine that does not respond well to tuning.
1.6 CVH is a better engine if you intend to "tweak" it.
2.0 Pinto best if you can find one.
(like the one in my shed!!!!)
Rest of bits will depend on what chassis you are going to use.... book or one built to accept sierra running gear.
This would make an ideal donor for say a GTS.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

matt12

posted on 18/11/05 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
i intend to build the car myself like the book , im aware one of the kit car firms , cant remember which one sells plans for a book style chassis, but adapted for seirra parts, in terms of that would the other parts on this be suitable?

would i be able to use the gear box and diff and a different engine or would i have to get a different engine and diff. im not really bothered about massive performance because i have my motorbike to get my speed thrills with

scotty g

posted on 18/11/05 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
SLIGHT OVER HEATING PROBLEM, roughly translated this means that the head gaskets gone, quite a common problem on the 1.8 CVH but you get the type9 gear box with it so you can bung in a pinto or zetec or just about whatever you want as most bolt on to the T9 box with an adaptor bellhousing.
matt12

posted on 18/11/05 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
it wouldn't be a problem to wack on a new headgasket, how much would a be looking at for a pinto ?

i'll be using gts plans for chassis

the main appeal of this car apart from it being a seirra is its ten minutes from where i plan to build the car unlike the others which i have found which are miles away

BKLOCO

posted on 18/11/05 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
from what you say then it's probably worth getting at a sensible price.
You will probably be able to use:
Engine?
G-Box
Dif,
Drive shafts and hubs
Stearing column
steering uprights (modified)
Brakes Wheel end and possibly master cylinder
Some of the wiring
Handbrake
Header tank?
If you estimate how much this lot would cost you from a scrappy you will get an idea of what your max bid should be.
Good luck.

I paid 39 quid for my donor
2.0 litre pinto estate, off e-bay.
They are still around if you are prepared to wait.

By the way GTS Tuning do chassis plans that use the Sierra running gear £10 a set. Several people on here using them.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

matt12

posted on 18/11/05 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
it sounds like worth going for its on 62 quid though with 2 days to go so i reckon it might jump up a bit i dont want to pay more than hundred though

is there any reason not to use the 1.8 CVH engine apart from performance ie size

[Edited on 18/11/05 by matt12]

ditchlewis

posted on 18/11/05 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I paid £75 for my donor from a breakers and that includes him coming and collecting the shell after all the parts had been removed.

the car just had been brought in after failing its mot and was a good runner.

ditch

Memphis Twin

posted on 18/11/05 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
"is there any reason not to use the 1.8 CVH engine apart from performance ie size?"

It's not a bad engine, but the extra 200cc over the 1600 was achieved by offset grinding the 1600 crankpins by a very large amount. IIRC the 1600 has 48mm journals, wheras the 1800 has 40mm which makes it inherently weak for tuning purposes. If you keep a sensible rev. limit of say 6500 I dont think you'll have a problem. The head responds to porting like any CVH, and because it's alloy it's something that you can do youself quite easily. Valve sizes are already quite large at (from memory) 42mm inlet.

So with a high- torque aftermarket camshaft , some porting and decent rev limiter you could have a nice fast-road engine that doesn't cost the earth.

Cheers Memphis.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.