Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Radiator size
Dave Bailey

posted on 22/11/05 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Radiator size

I think I may have been a bit hasty buying this radiator for my 2.0 zetec powered Velocity XT. I missed the fact that it was for a bike engined car.

What do you think? Too small and restricted flow?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4591895861&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

thanks
Dave Bailey

Kowalski

posted on 22/11/05 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about this one, but radiator size is an issue for me since I'm planning on quite a big engine. Most car radiators are sized for worst case conditions, hot weather and stationary traffic so you won't need as much radiator in a fast moving locost, but still I'm thinking a Micra radiator is a tad small.

What sort of radiator do the Rover V8 boys use?

Mike R-F

posted on 22/11/05 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
There seems to be a fair few of these floating around on ebay at the moment. I bought one for my 1700 X flow & feel it should be up to the job. Given a good quality thermo fan I would have thought it would be OK for a pinto (sorry, Zetec). I measure everything by the size of the rad in my 3L Scimitar which is marginal, if your rad is the same as mine, & I'm pretty certain it is, its about 70% of the Scims rad size but probably more efficient. On that basis & given the better airflow through a seven style nosecone I think mine will be just fine.
thi
BTW Mine was sold as Westfield item, see the Westfield shop under cooloing page 3 (I think)
[Edited on 22/11/05 by Mike R-F]

[Edited on 22/11/05 by Mike R-F]

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/11/05 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have a micra rad with the standard fan, it is JUST enough for a 2.0i Pinto, it has never overheated, but gets very warm if stuck in traffic.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Avoneer

posted on 22/11/05 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
It's the Polo rad that is.

Used on many cars without problems including 2.0 Zetec's and Pintos.

It's the biggest one that will fit in a Locost nose vertically and is very lightweight.

Don't think you can do better, especialy for the price.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Baldrick

posted on 23/11/05 at 04:03 AM Reply With Quote
I used a "standard" xflow radiator (brand new) for my 1300 xflow. The result was a car that got hot far too quickly - despite electric fan etc. OK in scotland but final straw was in France last year when it just continuously boiled.
Fixed by going to a proper radiator guy who made me a triple row radiator to the same dimensions. It actually cost less than the new one did from a motor factors. (I think standard one was single row).

givemethebighammer

posted on 23/11/05 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Micra rad cooling my 2.0L zetec, no problems at all, in fact the rad fan rarely cuts in (using nissan fan switch in the rad [100 degree])
Polo rad should be fine. Car has never overheated, warms up quickly to 85 degrees, rises to about 90 when I thrash it. Even on the track in the middle of summer I didn't see much above 100.

lsdweb

posted on 23/11/05 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
It's the Polo radiator - I've got one cooling my Zetec - no problem at all and the inlet / outlet are on the right side to make plumbing easier.

Wyn

ayoungman

posted on 23/11/05 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
There are a couple of different widths of polo rad available. Mine is from a 1.3 Polo. Rescued attachment DSCF0001.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0001.JPG

"just like that !"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.