Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: George Best
wilkingj

posted on 26/11/05 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
George Best

Like you all , I have just been watching the continuous news coverage about George Best, an amazing footballer, able to kick the ball with both his right and left foot. Also an outstanding dribbler, especially after a couple of cases of Chablis.

A sad day indeed. Epernay is a ghost town, and shares in Gordons Gin have only taken a hit like this once before…when Princess Margaret popped it.

People are leaving Pink Cuddly Bears as tokens of respect etc...
Rather than a pink cuddly bear, how about the epitaph of the poor sod who should have got the liver transplant?
I really feel for that person and their family.

Well got that off my chest.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve_gus

posted on 26/11/05 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
If ever I think ive posted something unpleasant, or said anything inappropriate on line, I will have your post to hold up to it as a yardstick.

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 27/11/05 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve_gus
If ever I think ive posted something unpleasant, or said anything inappropriate on line, I will have your post to hold up to it as a yardstick.

Take a seat Steve ,or lay down for that matter but....I agree with you

Cheers Cita

wilkingj

posted on 27/11/05 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
A good / excellent footballer / man of his time... I wont deny that.

But a Man that man that kills himself through drink, and then blows a second chance on his life is stupidty of the highest order and deserves what he got.

You can call his alcholism a disease.. as thats what it is.

But to take a transplant and p*ss it down the drain, thus denying some other innocent person of a life is bordering on the criminal (morally speaking).

I have no sympathy for the bloke at all.

Appologies if I have offended anyone.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Russ-Turner

posted on 27/11/05 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
TBH I think alot of people have no sympaphy for George Best. What highlighted it for me was the death of Richard Burns. One man throws away his second chance at life when the other didn't stand a chance with his first one. What makes me sad is that Richard Burns will receive very little media coverage or recognition outside of the motorsport world because he never did anything interesting like drink driving or hitting women.

[Edited on 27/11/05 by Russ-Turner]

Simon

posted on 28/11/05 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
Russ,

I agree with you (see my final comment in the "Burns" thread). I did post a reply in the "Best" thread, but my machine crashed before I sent it.

That unpublished comment basically said that I thought that if you're under 40 (like me!), Best would probably be more famous for his drinking. I also said his comment in the Mail on Sunday was a good read. Balanced opinion etc.

I also think it's terribly sad for his family, like it would be for any other.

When I heard of Burns' death, I was quite depressed.

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 28/11/05 by Simon]

lewis635

posted on 28/11/05 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
I agree, all the coverage of best is reflecting his footballing career but for most people he is better known for his less admirable side. I agree that he had an illness but it is a curable one. He had an obligation to the donors family to kick the habit. enough said
I too was very depressed when i heard about richards death. that man was dedicated to his life. perhaps the most proffesional sportsman you could find, never making rash decisions and every move was thought out. To lose your life that young is always tragic but we have lost one of britains most promising star.
Sadly he will never get the recognition he deserves.

andkilde

posted on 28/11/05 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingjYou can call his alcholism a disease.. as thats what it is.

"Disease" is a cop-out -- they are weak, irresponsible misanthropes, unwilling to taking responsibility for their actions.

Alcoholics should be set adrift on ice-flows, not pitied, tolerated or otherwise coddled as we currently do.

Cheers, Ted

Jasper

posted on 28/11/05 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andkilde
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingjYou can call his alcholism a disease.. as thats what it is.

"Disease" is a cop-out -- they are weak, irresponsible misanthropes, unwilling to taking responsibility for their actions.

Alcoholics should be set adrift on ice-flows, not pitied, tolerated or otherwise coddled as we currently do.

Cheers, Ted

My god, I didn't realise such ignorant small minded people still existed. Alcoholism is now regarded by all 'reasonable' people as a recognised mental illness. Do you feel the same way about schizophrenia or depression? Maybe we should go the whole hog and include gays as well as they are obvious mad as well, and in that case how about Jews - now you getting my drift?

The difference with alcoholism as that once the sufferer has been shown that it's possible to live without alcohol and helped to deal with the situation that caused it then he or she should take resposibility for their actions. Many alcoholics never find this path and never discover that help is available, these people should be pitied. Alcoholism is the third biggest killer in the world and will remain so with ignorant people like you around.

That is the real problem with George Best, he had all the help in the world and accepted a liver when he made no serious effort to quit.

And before you ask I have personal experience with this as two of my close family members are happy recovering alcoholics who haven't drunk for a total for 40 years between them.

posted on 28/11/05 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andkilde
quote:

Cheers, Ted

Been reading "Mein Kampf" too often hé Ted!!

steve_gus

posted on 28/11/05 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I think we have all known someone that has died through smoking. Its a fair bet that 30% of you reading this also smoke.

So, if any of you die through smoking, on the basis of comparing with alcoholism, you will obviously deserve the painful death that goes with smoking.

And no one at your funeral will be sorry for you. They will just say 'hey. he was a weak minded idiot that deserved what he got . He had years to give up, but never did'.

If you cannot show sympathy to someone who didnt have the strength to give up an ADDICTION then look at yourself first before you criticise.

If we all had the free will to change, then EVERYONE would be able to give up smoking that reads this. But you wont will you. Even though each packet has the promise of a painfull death printed on the front. How stupid and weak are you!

Or you could say that you smoke cos you enjoy it or its your decision. Didnt BEst have that same right if you apply the same silly logic?

Therefore you are as weak and useless as you perceived Best to be for not giving up,

For those that worry about how the donor family feels - dont give it a moments though. The donor family and the recipient are not allowed to know source and destination.

pound to a peice of shyte some trash newspaper will have a made up story soon about what the family felt about it.

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

andkilde

posted on 28/11/05 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cita

Been reading "Mein Kampf" too often hé Ted!!

No, I've just spent too much of life on the receiving end of the behaviour and its side effects.

Jasper, your relatives have done great things by getting their lives back under control.

I will stick by my previous statement though -- the labelling of alcoholism, or any other addiction for that matter, as a disease takes the control away from the individual and leaves the false impression that it is not their responsibility to deal with the problem.

Society did not shove a bottle into their hands. Their friends, relatives and other victims who suffer the horrible repercussions of their behaviour did not shove bottles into their hands either.

Clinical depression, cancer and thousands of other physical and chemical maladies are most certainly diseases -- alcoholism is a symptom and an excuse.

Stephen, unfortunately (for the argument) I don't smoke -- it killed my father at 39, apparently I figured out the cause and effect of the whole thing and chose not to start.

And FWIW, I harbour no ill will towards gays, or sufferers of mental illness, I am simply "unreasonable" enough to disagree with the prevailing wisdom which places self-inflicted behaviours in same category as "true" diseases.

Cheers, Ted

[Edited on 28/11/05 by andkilde]

posted on 28/11/05 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ted,

perhaps the "self inflicted bahaviour" is the disease.....

cheers Cita

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.