Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: time computer & supanet
mad-butcher

posted on 29/11/05 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
time computer & supanet

bought a computer from tesco last year, seemed like a bargain counting daughter in laws staff dicount about £300. tried to use it on the internet once but gave up as it uses supanet as a service provider. some-one suggested blocking it in msconfig/start menu so it wouldn't load but that doesn't work. the other week we reloaded windows but as soon as you fire up explorer there it is again the supanet sign up page .. I've looked at the default home page and there it is www.supanet sign up etc. (the CD equivelant of windows is in a partitioned part of the drive which I can't see so i summize there must be a sub routine telling it to load supanet) is there a way of getting rid of supanet easily so I can use freeserve. (The supanet phone number is out of date now anyway) apart from using a CD copy of XP
Regards
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr G

posted on 29/11/05 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Try running 'Hijack This'

It will scan your system and give you a list of items that can be removed that are installed i.e your problem with explorer and supanet.

You need to be careful though as its possible to remove too much

http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

Danozeman

posted on 30/11/05 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Search for the supanet files and delete them.

Not being funny but is it not in the add and remove porgrams?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

esn163

posted on 30/11/05 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

If you cant find anyother way of getting rid of the files, try this.

When you reloaded windows, did you delete the previous partition or did you load windows back onto the old one? Some old files from supanet could still be on there if windows was just reloaded over the top of the old partition. We found this out a few years ago when we had an problem with windows and had to wipe the hard drive of a machine. If you have time and have not already, try reinstalling windows again and delete the old partition and create a new one. I think you can do this from a menu where you decide which partition to install windows on.

HTH

Ed

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 30/11/05 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by esn163
Hi,

If you cant find anyother way of getting rid of the files, try this.

When you reloaded windows, did you delete the previous partition or did you load windows back onto the old one? Some old files from supanet could still be on there if windows was just reloaded over the top of the old partition. We found this out a few years ago when we had an problem with windows and had to wipe the hard drive of a machine. If you have time and have not already, try reinstalling windows again and delete the old partition and create a new one. I think you can do this from a menu where you decide which partition to install windows on.

HTH

Ed

Will probably find supanet is included on the windows disc from Time. Time used to have their own versions of the windows discs that were full of crap, as well as windows!

You can get rid of it with Hijackthis easily enough. Or by manually editing the registry, but thats not a job for the faint harted or the inexperienced!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

esn163

posted on 30/11/05 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh I forgot it would be a time recovery type disk with everything on

Ed

mad-butcher

posted on 30/11/05 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys
I'll try and answer a couple of points
Dan
that was the first place I looked and deleted it but when i restarted the computer it reloaded.
Ed
the partition is put on by Time and it's in that partition that Time put the copy of windows. They don't supply a copy of windows on disk they give you what they call a reload cd that just tells it to load from that partition. No F#####g use if you have a hard disk failure.

Many thanks for the help
Tony

Peteff

posted on 30/11/05 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ask Time for a copy of Windows on disk or a serial number you can use with a copy of XP if there isn't one on the side of your computer case. They should supply you with one. You can use any copy of XP and put your serial number in and be legit. That way you can format the hard drive and do away with their windows recovery partition.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Gav

posted on 30/11/05 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
unfortunatly time are no longer trading, i live not far from their factory, which went tits up in the summer.
Luke Allanson

posted on 7/12/05 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
They started trading again until the summer? Im sure they went under before...
But yea, this is why, they flood all of their computers with crap, glue things into the motherboards, cover any slots remaining with glue, so you cant upgrade, and were just generally poor in every aspect.

Your problem sounds like a nice time peice of spyware to me, try running search and destroy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.