Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Potential car lift?
albertz

posted on 29/11/05 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Potential car lift?

How feasible would it be to convert one of these lifts to use it to lift the Locost. The lift capacity is 800Kg and it lifts to over 1m high.

Surely with a bit of stabilising and a few adjustable lifting points fabricated it could be used. Obviously it would require supporting when lifted, but would comfortably lift a Locost.

Any comments?

I remember reading of someone who used a high lift pallet truck, surely this is much the same thing? Maybe the castors would need replaced for more sturdy items, but the unit is rated at 800Kg and it would just be for lifting the car, not manouevring (spelling?).

Some on Ebay just now;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/800kg-Heavy-Duty-Mobile-Scissor-Lift-Table-NEW_W0QQitemZ7565391542QQcategoryZ64813QQcmdZViewItem

There is also a light weight version for the really low weight cars sub 300KG

[Edited on 29/11/05 by albertz] Rescued attachment lift.jpg
Rescued attachment lift.jpg

flak monkey

posted on 29/11/05 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
We lift our formula student car with one of those.

Works OK for that job and I see no reason why, with the addition of some stabilisation etc you couldnt use it to lift a Locost.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 29/11/05 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Use two Albertz

matt12

posted on 29/11/05 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
we lift our formula student car by hand

no wonder we never win with that level of technology

Danozeman

posted on 29/11/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
You could easily adapt that top to make it wide enough to sit nicely underneath. Even some locating bits so it cant slip. Fix it to the floor of your garage or something.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

albertz

posted on 30/11/05 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I have been thinking about this and reckon it wouldn't be that hard to make my own for a fraction of the price.

Seems strange to build your own car from scratch then buy a lift to work on it

A quick search on the internet has thrown up a couple of sites with decent diagrams to work from. Obviously it wouldn't be load certified etc but cant see that being a problem as it is for my own private use.

Biggest cost/problem will be sourcing a couple of suitable hydraulid rams and pump. Any readily available suggestions?

iank

posted on 30/11/05 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Easiest source of hydraulic cylinder+pump (assuming good old hand power rather than electric ) is to use a bottle jack.

Machinemart have them up to 20 tonne http://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=107&r=2047
(table at the bottom) it gives min/max height so you can work out the total extension information which should help with the design. They aren't expensive. Not sure if they have to be kept vertical in operation.

[Edited on 30/11/05 by iank]

caber

posted on 30/11/05 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
You could get a second hand 4 post lift for that sort of money!

Caber:-)

rusty nuts

posted on 30/11/05 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
You may be able to get a two post lift for the same money, much better than a four post .
albertz

posted on 30/11/05 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
As far as i know most of those 2/4 post ramps need 3 phase supply, but i could well be wrong.

Anyway, i dont want to pay that sort of money, hence i am considering building my own version.

At the end of the day it is about number 3000 on my list of priorites, simply getting out to the garage is about number 2500 The joys of having a new baby daughter (6 weeks old, with collic!)...i thought it was tough with one 3 year old daughter, now i cant understand what i used to do with my time I am sure there are plenty other fathers out there who can relate to what i am saying?

[Edited on 30/11/05 by albertz]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.