Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: If you get your mobile nicked
Mk-Ninja

posted on 1/12/05 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
If you get your mobile nicked

The handset can be blacklisted so that no one can use it. Each handset has a unique serial number.

If you dial * # 0 6 # a 15 digit number will appear on the screen. Write it down and keep it in a safe place.

If your phone is stolen or lost, phone your service provider and give them this code.

They will be able to block your handset so that the phone will be useless, even if the Sim card is changed.

You probably won't get your phone back, but whoever stole it can't use/sell it either.

If everybody did this, there would be no point in stealing mobile phones.

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

flak monkey

posted on 1/12/05 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
The number is called the IMEI number, and can usually also be found on the original box that the phone was in.

I had to phone up my service provider and do this when my last phone got nicked. Its no hassle to them. And as said, it renders the handset useless, as the networks will not recognise it anymore, even if the sim is changed.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

need4speed

posted on 1/12/05 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Well that's the theory anyway, but in practice the IMEI number can also be changed with all the correct equipment as found on your local market stall. This is illegal of course but then stealing your phone is also.

Dave

Kowalski

posted on 1/12/05 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
If you're in the UK and you tell your UK provider that your phone has been stolen it will be blacklisted but the blacklisting will only take effect on UK networks, so you could export the phone and it will still work on any non-UK network. The other thing you can do, as mentioned above is to reflash the IMEI, supposedly impossible but easy enough to do.

If you look on ebay you'll find that there are quite a few blacklisted phones and they sell for close to the price they'd fetch if they weren't blacklisted, that means that its cheap and easy to make them usable again.

JoelP

posted on 1/12/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
it getting better at least, they only used to blacklist it on the network you used it on, nowadays its all uk ones. Flashing imei should be a more serious offense, there no legitimate reason for doing it is there?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

serendipity123

posted on 1/12/05 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
imei numbers can not be changed on most phones now(anything in the last year), also if your caught doing it and there are people out there checking it comes with 5 years behind bars, we dont do that sort of thing now, i doubt you'll find a shop willing to change an imei.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.