Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: independant car inspections
matt12

posted on 2/12/05 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
independant car inspections

hi

im thinking of buying a car thats in hailsham, sussex. im in manchester at mo
im not willing to drive all that way to check it out just on the guys say of the car so im thinking of getting an independant inspection done on it,
i found a couple of companys off auto trader, one has garages in hailsham and will do a fairly comprehensive inspection for £100 quid.

ill prob go for it because than id now the ins and outs before i go all that way.

does anyone on here have experiance of these car inspections and are they any good .

cheers

scotty g

posted on 2/12/05 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
The RAC are advertising on the telly at the mo but i don't know how much, probably about the same and the AA do it as well, plus you know that they will be completely impartial.
Jon Ison

posted on 2/12/05 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Its your call but I used too work in car sales many moons ago, whenever any potential purchaser had a car inspected 99% of the time the inspector would not commit after all its there head/reputation so if they suspected even the remotest chance of a problem they would condemn the car and i mean remotest possibility, not blue smoke, rattles, bangs ect, I saw many a good car missed by a buyer because these guys wouldn't commit, then again if they do commit i suppose your pretty sure its a good en, probably a good business to get into.......

"I'll inspect your car sir for £100"

"don't buy it mate, may break down in 20k miles"

"£100 please sir"

If at all possible get a friend too have a look at it or someone you know.........

All IMHO you don't have too act on it, just my experience on the subject.

matt12

posted on 2/12/05 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
thats a fair point, its a tricky one

unfortunatly i know no one in sussex and no one down south who knows the front end of the car from the back.

all im really trying to find out is if its a piece of scrap or not, becasue im going to inspect it myself i just want to know its worth my effort going all the way down there.

Jon Ison

posted on 2/12/05 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Can you deal with the seller ? maybe cover some of your travel costs ?

Can some one on here have a look for you ? not as too just how good/bad it is but more "yup its worth a look" or "dont bother"

matt12

posted on 2/12/05 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
i doubt the seller will deal as its quite cheap for what it is thats why im considering going so far of it.

the car is a 1978 model thats had restoration so inspection might come up with a lot, they do send you a detailed report though so should be able to come up with own conclusions on if worth looking at.

you reckon i should put a post on here asking if anyone in sussex is willing to have a look at it for beer tokens?

mookaloid

posted on 2/12/05 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Small word of caution: If you look at a car for someone else, even if you don't get paid for it - but more particularly if you do get paid, you are potentially liable to get sued by the purchaser if you get it wrong - "er sorry I didn't spot it was a ringer" or "how was i to know it was 2 cars stuck together?"

If you look at a car for someone else you are basically saying that you know what you are doing and can be held responsible if you get it wrong.

I know it isn't very helpful but the best judge of a car for you is yourself. Otherwise go to a dealer (or an auction) where you as a punter are protected by the law.

Happy hunting

Mark

donut

posted on 2/12/05 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I know a guy who does this. i did his website for him.

http://www.carinspection.co.uk/

Give him a ring.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
froggy

posted on 2/12/05 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
go and see for yourself. i ended up in jersey when i bought my lotus carlton and it was worth the trip unlike the six i travelled to see before restoration is a real danger signal for me it means fresh paint and god knows what underneath. (never been touched) is what i look for in an advert!
scotty g

posted on 2/12/05 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
So are you gonna tell us what the car is then?
Mark Allanson

posted on 2/12/05 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I do inspections for the RAC, the AA and Dekra on subcontracts.

The inspections are quite deep, but tend to have a good few get out clauses, eg. The rear axle was examined externally and appeared to be in good order, however no determinations to its condition could be made without a full strip down. (Reads - looks OK, but it could be f@cked).

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Jon Ison

posted on 2/12/05 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I do inspections for the RAC, the AA and Dekra on subcontracts.

The inspections are quite deep, but tend to have a good few get out clauses, eg. The rear axle was examined externally and appeared to be in good order, however no determinations to its condition could be made without a full strip down. (Reads - looks OK, but it could be f@cked).

My point exactly.

matt12

posted on 2/12/05 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
the cars a 1978 1.5 litre triumph spitfire,

i need to get something slightly more practical than the gsxr and this fits the bill.

im not sure what to do, you can only ever expect something up to a point without taking it to pieces so i'll never no for certain.

i just want to check it runs ok, there are no obvious impending melt downs, with the engine or transmission, about to happen,

and that its not rotten underneath so thats its going to fall in half.

if i now its ok mechanically ill come and see it, i just dont want to travel all that way for rust bucket,

would an inspection be ok with that?

mark do you know any inspectors in the network in sussex area?
cheers for all replys

[Edited on 2/12/05 by matt12]

Jon Ison

posted on 2/12/05 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't there a spitfire owners club ?

Make contact with them, see if they know the car, see if a local enthusiast would look at it for you, they would surely only be too happy too help out.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.