Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GPS
Ian Pearson

posted on 3/12/05 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
GPS

Planning on getting a GPS NAV system. I'm looking for one that I can use Land, Marine, and Air databases with. Any of you have any recommendations?

Regards, Ian.

Triton

posted on 3/12/05 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Have you built a chitty chitty bang bang then dude..land...sea...air...

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
raccoonradar

posted on 3/12/05 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
lol
Ian Pearson

posted on 4/12/05 at 05:17 AM Reply With Quote
Good Idea!
Ben_Copeland

posted on 4/12/05 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Dont know any systems that have sea and air built in, unless you want to your local RAF or Marines and "borrow" one.

Sure there are things available, but bet they are expensive !!!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

caber

posted on 4/12/05 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I use Tomtom on a Palm Treo 650. you can get a bluetooth GPS unit and various software by download to give you different readouts from the GPS. There are ones that give you latitude and longitude and I think grid refs and I think there is one you can plot scans of your own maps into. all pocket sized and gprs enabled as well as being a phone.

Caber

Bob C

posted on 4/12/05 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
I'd say get a cheap PDA with GPS built in (I got a yakumo delta 300 off ebay for £180 new) (from a subaru garage called monty's in sheffield) Then spend £40 on a 1Gig mmc card & get 'tomtom' for navigation and 'memory map 2004' for OS maps and marine charts. The s/w and maps are around legit or pirate if you know where to look.
To be honest I'm incredibly impresed with this system. OK windows CE crashes a lot but you get used to it.
Bob

Triton

posted on 4/12/05 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Call me old fashioned.........but what's wrong with a map book and road signs

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 4/12/05 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
you're old fashioned

actually sat nav is really good. Its not pefect as i found out when a lad at works took us through central london to get to Croydon from Coventry. But if you get into a region it will get you there. The biggest draw back is you stop paying attention to where you're going - you let the electronics take over!

ch1ll1

posted on 4/12/05 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
i use an ipaq 4100 blue tooth reciever,tom tom
works a treat, had it a few years now!

not 100% been wrong a few times,
but it good i swear by one!
any they are cheap now
also has a built in speedo!

bigandy

posted on 4/12/05 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of interest, would the SVA man be happy if the only speedometer in my car was driven by GPS?

Just wondering...

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

Deckman001

posted on 4/12/05 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
you're old fashioned

actually sat nav is really good. Its not pefect as i found out when a lad at works took us through central london to get to Croydon from Coventry.

And you never called in to say hello as you passed !! What ya need sat nav for to get to Croydon,, Thought every one had been told where it was so as to be able to avoid it at all costs !!

Jason

geoff shep

posted on 4/12/05 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have an ipaq with a bluetooth gps - but you can get wired ones and CF card ones which just slot in.

Use Tom Tom for road stuff, and you can download speed camera database and get audio warnings.

Also played with memory map software - it gives you a moving map display. Great for flying. Digital aeronautical charts are available but MM2003 also allows you to scan and calibrate your own maps so you could do that for marine charts.

MikeR

posted on 4/12/05 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
you're old fashioned

actually sat nav is really good. Its not pefect as i found out when a lad at works took us through central london to get to Croydon from Coventry.

And you never called in to say hello as you passed !! What ya need sat nav for to get to Croydon,, Thought every one had been told where it was so as to be able to avoid it at all costs !!

Jason

Unfortunately we have a trial site there which i have to visit - Brigstock road near thornton heath.

Next time i've got advance warning of a visit and i'm staying over i'll give you a shout. Could do with something interesting to do in the evening.

Deckman001

posted on 4/12/05 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
No worries See ya next time then

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.