Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: plate allocation after private plate
pifular

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
plate allocation after private plate

please help settle a family -errrrrrrrrrrr- disagreement. I bought the trouble and strife some private plates for her tin top for xmas and after promptly fitting them binned the old ones. The father in law "i was a police officer for xx years and know all there is to know about everything" says that when the cars is sold or put back onto non cherished plates then i will need them as the car will revert back to its original plate.

i on the other hand thought that the old plate went back into the "pool" as it were, and when the time comes the car will be allocated another age related plate.

i have retreived the old plates from the wheelie bin to be on the safe side and told the father " I AM THE LAW" in law that I will check. can't think of any where better to check than here.

so one tell me I am right-please-

com'on, i had to root in the bin over this.

Howlor

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I had a 944 for a while. I researched it's history through the DVLA and it had about 5 private plates throughout it's life. Each time it was sold it was given an age related plate but different to it's first one.
jimgiblett

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
When I bought my wifes car it had a private plate but the condition of the sale was to be kept by the seller.

It reverted back to it original registration which was nice as this matched all the early service history stamps.

Howlor

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
One all!
iank

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
I couldn't find anything on the DVLA web site about the car reverting back to it's old number (http://www.dvla-som.co.uk/home/en/FAQ/) but if it does/can revert, the back of the V750 should tell you.

Phoning the local dvla office might get you an answer the father-in-law can't argue with, though I suspect you would get the 'must have only recently changed' treatment.

Mind I don't think throwing them out is a good idea since anyone could pull them out and cause you future pain (speeding/parking tickets etc.)

Scotty

posted on 5/12/05 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
we've carried our personalised plates over several different cars, each time they've gone back to the original plates

PLEASE NOTE! All comments made by this person are to be considered "Tongue in Cheek" and are not meant to be taken seriously in any way - so there!

mookaloid

posted on 5/12/05 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scotty
we've carried our personalised plates over several different cars, each time they've gone back to the original plates

Same here

serendipity123

posted on 5/12/05 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
i got a new plate when i sold my old car, maybe it depends if your old plate has been re issued
Humbug

posted on 5/12/05 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
My wife's old car reverted to its original registration when we traded in and transferred the personalised reg to the new car. I believe that in theory, the rule is that they will allocated an age-related plate, but often/usually they just reallocate the original number, assuming it hasn't been reassigned to another vehicle.
k33ts

posted on 5/12/05 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
i thought you had to request original plates/reg back when putting on a p/p otherwise you just get what your given
Baldrick

posted on 6/12/05 at 01:51 AM Reply With Quote
Each time I moved my reg to a new car the DVLA gave me a new age related number for the donor. Mind you I never asked to revert to the original one. Seems like another DVLA inconsistency. I think your family feud is going to continue..
stevebubs

posted on 6/12/05 at 03:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:
Originally posted by Scotty

Same here

Ditto - according to the paperwork, my Beemer had about 4 different private plates prior to me owning it, but the original reg kept cropping up on the odd service. I think I was the only owner to run it on the original reg.

steve_gus

posted on 6/12/05 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
The F reg xj-s i had was on private plates at one time. I nearly didnt buy the car as it had a different (and not special) reg from the one in the original service history. Turns out that it had the plate changed back after private reg and it WAS NOT the original plate.

atb

stev
e

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 6/12/05 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK there is no guarantee that the old number will be re-issued. All i can say with certainty i sthe last 3 times that i have done this i have always got the old number back. Defo keep hold of the old plates - you will almost certainly get the old number re-issued.

My data is as up to date as today - ive just recieved my paperwork today

pifular

posted on 6/12/05 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all that, not really sure if i will show this to the father- I AM THE LAW - in law. It would seem to be that you get the original unless it has been allocated out to something else. Unlikely in this case. perhaps when the time comes i will ask for an age related plate and sit back smuggly on big fat "I TOLD YOU SO!!".

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.