Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Rootes locost
Oliver Coles

posted on 6/12/05 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Rootes locost

Hi

When i finish school i intend to build a locost with a rootes 1725cc engine and with Sunbeam rapier running gear. Unfortunatly i have no room to build a chassie. does anyone know where i can buy a ready built locost chassie for less than £200?

Thank you

Only 16 and i have already had my midlife crisis

gary gsx

posted on 6/12/05 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
What year Rapier you got??
Viper

posted on 6/12/05 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
1725 gonna be a H120...at a guess

i used to have a series 3 a

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gary gsx

posted on 6/12/05 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
thats what i thought me dads restoring on its a 1962 model i think
britishtrident

posted on 7/12/05 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Viper
1725 gonna be a H120...at a guess

i used to have a series 3 a

Not that many H120 around and most of those had the engines filleted out.
If it was an H120 the the twin 4DCOEs would and Holbay badge on the cast alloy rocker cover be the give away -- ordinary Arrow range Rapiers have pressed steel rocker cover. Unless your engines has both of the above identification points more likely you have an ordindary cooking arrow range Rapier on twin strombergs -- not a bad engine quite lusty should give better performance than a stock 1600GT xflo.

One obstacle with an Arrow range donor is accomodating the width of the overdrive gearbox, easy way round this is to fit a Hillman Hunter gearbox. Finding a route for the steering shaft might also need some thought, and I also suspect the chassis diagonal brace "R" will need altered as per some of the V8 Locosts around.

[Edited on 7/12/05 by britishtrident]

Oliver Coles

posted on 9/12/05 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
The donor car will be a 1970s Sunbeam talbot rapier or a 1960s Sunbeam alpine MK5

Only 16 and i have already had my midlife crisis

Viper

posted on 9/12/05 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Coles
The donor car will be a 1970s Sunbeam talbot rapier or a 1960s Sunbeam alpine MK5

not trying to be funny but your choice of donor is not ideal, soley on the basis of finding spares, you could sell the alpine for parts to easily cover a build using later model parts.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 12/12/05 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Some such things as a 70s "Talbot Rapier" the 68 to mid 70s car were the Arrow range, Both the Rapier and the entry level model the Alpine being a Roy Axe styled design.

The range before that that which ran from the late 50s through to late 1967 were the Audax or "Series" Minx/Rapier also called the "light car range" by Rootes.

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 12/12/05 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Coles
Hi

When i finish school i intend to build a locost with a rootes 1725cc engine and with Sunbeam rapier running gear. Unfortunatly i have no room to build a chassie. does anyone know where i can buy a ready built locost chassie for less than £200?

Thank you

The only way i think you will find a pre built chassis for less than £200 is ask about and see if anyone has got a second hand or redundant one forsale

Dont think you will fing a comerically produced one at that money??

May be wrong, has been known

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.