Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering rack questions
Sven

posted on 9/12/05 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
Steering rack questions

I have a mid 80's VW Golf steering rack, rear steer as I am using Corolla GT-S (GTi) converted struts that are also rear steer, naturally. I am going to have to shorten the rack about 6".

Anyway, when I wind on the tie rods to the steering rod/rack and tighten them down they appear to preload the balljoint to the point that it's impossible to move the tie rod ... not good.

A fix would be to use some thin jam nuts to lock the threads before the inner balljoint preloads. I've seen such things on a Triumph Spitfire rack but I wondered if anyone has seen them for other racks? The threads on this rack appear to be M22x1.5mm.

I will also have to lengthen the tie rods themselves so I'm also interested in hearing from others if there's another way of killing both birds with one stone? I have some ideas but they generally involve some major surgery ... such as making a clevis for the end of the steering rod and using bearing rod ends at each end of the tie rod.

I can probably take a pic and upload it if that'll help.

-Steve

[Edited on 12/9/2005 by Sven]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.