Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sharing a broadband connection
Ben Graber

posted on 16/12/05 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Sharing a broadband connection

I currently have BT broadband connected through a usb modem. If i wanted to connect the kids pc upstairs to my broadband connection would this work... Connect thier PC up using a identical usb modem and log on using my username and password? If so could both pc's be conected at the same time and could i have parental settings running on one and not the other?
need4speed

posted on 16/12/05 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I think the answer is no it won't work. You either need a router and cable or a router with wireless and a wireless card for the PC upstairs.
The other option is to run a cable between the two network cards and use windows internet connection shareing.

Dave

jestre

posted on 16/12/05 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
You definetly will need a router.

-=too much horsepower is just enough=-

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 16/12/05 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
This method works fine I had two PCs connected like this with no problems.It is easy to set up if both PCs are running XP
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by need4speed
IThe other option is to run a cable between the two network cards and use windows internet connection shareing.

Dave

zilspeed

posted on 16/12/05 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
ADSL Router with wireless capability and a USB wireless adapter for the one upstairs.

This could be up and running on both computers in around 15 minutes. I have just such a setup here at home, as does my sister who has 2 desktops and a laptop sharing the connection over wireless.

It's very inexpensive and saves the hassle of cabling.

ianr

posted on 16/12/05 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
If you are feeling flush the the best way to do this is get a ADSL wireless router, and cards.

This way you buy a router then anybody with a wireless card/stick (can buy for 24 each)
can connect to you broadband. No wires kicking around.

Probably cost about 100 for router and two cards

If cost is an issue then as the previous post suggest this can be achieved with a network cable
between the computers. But your will always have to be on when your kids want the Internet.

Some routers.
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/products/a843x1y0z1p0s0n0m0

andyps

posted on 16/12/05 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Both use the PC's can use the line but not at teh same time, unless you have an appropriate network. I have a laptop and a pc which is in a different part of the house and I network them together sometimes, but alternatively just plug one or the other into the phone line and connect it to broadband. But only one works at a time like this, and the other broadband modem has to be unplugged even if the pc it is connected to is not switched on.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Peteff

posted on 16/12/05 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you're only running two like we do, use internet connection sharing via 2 10/100 network cards and ethernet cable. Cards are only£4 ish and cable is not expensive.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Genesis

posted on 16/12/05 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
There's always Bluetooth If you don't wanna go to a network... just buy a couple of USB Bluetooth dongles and away you go.

Going fishin'

andyb64

posted on 16/12/05 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
I think PC world have a deal on a netgear 54mb wireless router and usb wireless card for £69 at the moment. This also has a built in firewall for added protection.
pbura

posted on 17/12/05 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
If you're only running two like we do, use internet connection sharing via 2 10/100 network cards and ethernet cable. Cards are only£4 ish and cable is not expensive.
I have this, too, with a USB modem. You'll need a crossover cable.

Pete

bimbleuk

posted on 17/12/05 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I share my broadband connection with a neighbour ... except his house is half a mile away!

Wireless broadband router to external aerial at his house. External aerial to wireless access point at my house. I then use an ethernet hub to plug in my various PCs, laptop and XBOX

Noodle

posted on 17/12/05 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
I share my broadband connection with a neighbour ... except his house is half a mile away!

Wireless broadband router to external aerial at his house. External aerial to wireless access point at my house. I then use an ethernet hub to plug in my various PCs, laptop and XBOX

Intrigued! What sort of antenna are you using?

Your sort make me sick

britishtrident

posted on 17/12/05 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
With wireless a lot depends on how well built the house is --- with older or more expensive property the thicker wall can create major problems. Lots of ways round this of course including "wireless extenders" and power line networking but simplest and best is a length of cat5 cable plugged into a router-switch.

Avoid using MS internet connection sharing, in fact once you install it it is a pain in the **** to remove. If you want to use conection sharing install AnalogX proxy server it is free and very easy to install.

Noodle

posted on 17/12/05 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
With wireless a lot depends on how well built the house is --- with older or more expensive property the thicker wall can create major problems. Lots of ways round this of course including "wireless extenders" and power line networking but simplest and best is a length of cat5 cable plugged into a router-switch.

Avoid using MS internet connection sharing, in fact once you install it it is a pain in the **** to remove. If you want to use conection sharing install AnalogX proxy server it is free and very easy to install.

I've CAT5'd the areas in the house that I use. I've got wireless, but with a 1930's house, the lateral range is poor.

305m of cable on EBuyer was next to no money (or in my case a phone call to an ex-employer and a new box lands on my doorstep )

A friend of mine has a couple of town-houses from the late 19th Century that he's split into bedsits. We admitted defeat with wireless in the end because it was so patchy and cabled the whole lot together (sharing 1 2MB connection) for his tenants.

That's why I was particularly interested in the 1/2 mile range. Just wondered if it could be done in a LocostBuilders 'stylee' (Coat hangers and tin-foil )

Cheers,

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

Ben Graber

posted on 18/12/05 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the advice, i think
i'll wait till after christmas then get a wireless router and a pair of 54g cards. Bl@@dy moniter blew up yesterday so thats more important now! Samsung 17" tft from ebuyer for £126 looks good

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.