Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: looking at kits
commader

posted on 16/12/05 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
looking at kits

hi im new to this forum but have been looking at kit cars for a few years.
im only 17 but consider myself obsessed with kitcars particularly lotus seven style cars.

ive been looking at Robin Hood for a while in particular the 2B chassis.
also ive looking at the westfield cars,
and now also the GTS Tuning cars.
basically i need some reviews and advice as to which kit would be best for a beginner.

a little about me may also help:
im 6 foot 4inches
17 years old
very enthusiactic
im not very fat so a skinny car is fine

thankyou for any advice you can give me

phoenix70

posted on 16/12/05 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
You'll find many option and many opinions here, so the best advice is to look at a few. I was looking at the Robin hood when I was thinking of building. But then I saw an MK and had a chat with the owner, and that swayed me.

The Robin hood uses a lot more parts from the donor, and for what most people say, it is a much more complicated build than a lot of the locost derived cars. I got an MK kit just over a year ago, and working on it, mostly on my own, it is almost ready for it's SVA test (and indeed if I got my finger out it probably would have been ready several months ago)

So my opinion would be have a look at the MK Indy, but then I'm biased.

P.S. Welcome to the madhouse

Later

Scott

Hellfire

posted on 16/12/05 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Depends where you're based too. That could have a bearing on whose kit you eventually decide to build. I'd second the MK Indy - they are easily the best kit out there - but then again, I'm biased too

Have a look at our build and rebuild diaries to see how they go together. Get yourself to MK on just about any Saturday morning and try a ride in a few

Welcome to the madhouse

[Edited on 16-12-05 by Hellfire]

andy d (rizla)

posted on 16/12/05 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
has to be a MNR VORTX,the best by a long shot,and a bigger cockpit(im 6ft 4)

this is NOT a biased opinion.......honest

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Genesis

posted on 16/12/05 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy by a long way - easy to build, well thought out, great value for money...

Great load of lads too - informative and typically friendly.

There is also an Owners Club and regular publicised meetings around the Yorkshire area.

Going fishin'

donut

posted on 16/12/05 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Did someone mention the MK Owners club!!

Mk Indy... mmmmmmmmmmmm

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 16/12/05 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget the Mac#1

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

scotty g

posted on 17/12/05 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have built a RobinHood 2b and although it is a well priced kit i have to say it certainly isn't an easy build but they do have bags of space due to the dimensions being bigger than a locost.
At the moment i am building a GTS Panther, Darren used to work in F1 and really knows his stuff, he's not an easy man to get hold of sometimes but he is well worth chatting to.
His kit is excellent quality and competetively priced.
I am 5'11" and can't reach the pedals in Darrens car so you should fit in one with no problems.
Everyone here will have their own oppinions and favorites so they will tend to be bias in a given direction but there is a truly vast amount of knowledge (and insanity) on this forum and people will always try to help you out whatever kit you choose, even a RobinHood!!!!!!!
Cheers.
Scotty G.

Hellfire

posted on 17/12/05 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Whatever you decide, be sure to take advice from people on this forum who are actually building or have built a kit rather than those trolling the forum for amusement

If you're in no rush, get along to some of the shows next year, see the quality of the kits, talk to some of the owners, get a ride in a few and then put your order in for an MK Indy.....

Disclaimer: Other manufacturers kits are available

commader

posted on 17/12/05 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quick replys

thankyou for all your quick replys
sadly i live up in scotland Dundee to be precise so going out and testing isnt really and option at the momment.
ive got a max budget of £6000 (for everything)
and am looking to buy next summer.
really wanted a winter project but ive got raynauds so winter isnt an option.
it will be built on my driveway

and stored in a garage
once again thanks for all you help

zxrlocost

posted on 17/12/05 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
I think you should leave it till then
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/12/05 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

sadly i live up in scotland Dundee to be precise so going out and testing isnt really and option at the momment.

We arnt far down the road from you. You are always welcome to come have a look at the Dedion MK and a Irs MK in the same visit.

piddy

posted on 17/12/05 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.
Kit car International used to do a magazine called A Guide to Lotus seven inspired roadsters.
This would be a good starting point if it’s still available.

It lists all of the choices and what sort of price they will cost you, to build
The one I have is a bit out of date but lists the following makes.

Birkin, Caterham, Dax Rush, Quantum xtreme, Tiger super six, Westfield. These will all be to expensive for your budget of £6000

Vindicator, Formula 27, Rt blaze, Sylva striker, Tiger Cat, Tornado. I’m not sure of the price of these or if some are still available.

Robin Hood 2B. You should be able to build one of these for £6000

Others I can think of that aren’t in the magazine and would be within you budget (if you was to fit a car engine ) are.
MK
Mac1#
Luego Velocity
Tiger Avon
Robin Hood light weight.

It is always best to look at what you want and you can afford and then visit the manufacturer’s factories and take a look /test drive etc.
Another good way is to visit the larger kit car shows like Stoneliegh and Newark.
I hope this helps.

James

posted on 17/12/05 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Don't forget the Mac#1

Nah, you might aswell start with the original and go MK!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

cornishrob

posted on 18/12/05 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I personally would be moved towards the tiger if i were in your position. I have been a fan of the B6 for a long time but its just too impractical for myself.
Avoneer

posted on 23/12/05 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
From a totally un-biased opinion as I've done the Tiger thing and now onto a Locost using bits from Stuart Taylor, MK, Martin Keenan, GTS etc. I would definately build an MK or a MAC1.

You could have a very tidy nice one for £6k .

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

piddy

posted on 28/12/05 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
You could take a look at this link.

And then click & type suppliers link to view there web sites.Easthoods links

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.