Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: seriously not impressed
john_p_b

posted on 17/12/05 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
seriously not impressed

lovely sunny day so what else is there to do than take the indy for a blast in the countryside.

happy cruising along 60ish looks at N/S/F wheel thought oh er thats moving a lot, oh no it's not it's the cycle wing WTF.....weeeeee that goes flying down the road. stops back up picks it up and the bracket has snapped

result = 1 knackered bracket and 1 scrap cycle wing.

more beer tokens

[Edited on 17/12/05 by john_p_b]

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

Jon Ison

posted on 17/12/05 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
dunno, maybe you could have give em a try before venting your spleen on here 1st ?

your asking the wrong people, you should be asking them not us.

BTW join the club, you ain't had a true 7 experience till you lost a cycle wing.

john_p_b

posted on 17/12/05 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
jon, you're right i'm sorry typing before thinking, i'm just a bit pi$$ed off.

edited original post so it's a little less harsh!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

Jon Ison

posted on 17/12/05 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
no prob, Ive had the cycle wing in face thing before, not MK brackets BTW, they really do take a pounding, prob the most fragile part on any 7.

zilspeed

posted on 17/12/05 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Consider it as a rite of passage. If it hasn't happened to you, you haven't had a se7en

Hellfire

posted on 17/12/05 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty glad I've never had a se7en then

Paul M

posted on 17/12/05 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Happened to me on my westfield and several other Westfield owners that I know. Just one of those things. Shi* happens
indykid

posted on 17/12/05 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
would it happen to be the vertical strap that broke, just above the weld?

if so, the same happened to me, just think yourself lucky your cycle wings weren't £100 dax ones. don't replace the bracket, just strip back the coating and weld a gusset/brace over the joint.

as jon says, with the amount of unsupported weight involved, it's not surprising they fail through fatigue, though a bit of extra bracing would do no harm in the first place.

at least it was only a cycle wing, a minor inconvenience of an accident at this time of year.
tom

Tim 45

posted on 17/12/05 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
In my opinion, i think that it is the vibrations that see them off. If you look at how much they vibrate during normal use, its no wonder that they fail

zilspeed

posted on 17/12/05 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
I'm pretty glad I've never had a se7en then

It will.............

chrisg

posted on 17/12/05 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Aye.

Been there, done that.

I made my own though - nobody else to blame!!!

Cheers

Chris

raccoonradar

posted on 17/12/05 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yep got both mine off at the min
One snapped on way back from buying the car, welded that back on, Then I snapped one, bit too frosty one morn brushed a bush going side ways one snapped on way to MOT, welded that back on at test centre, that one snapped on way home & yes they were welded properly , Going to make brackets twice as thick this time

JoelP

posted on 17/12/05 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
i cant be arsed fixing mine had it off for months now!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

john_p_b

posted on 17/12/05 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
i can live with failures through wear and tear, it's life i'm a mechanic i accept these things happen but whats upset me a bit is the welding on it, there's literaly no penetration on the bracket at all.

i'm going to re-weld the bracket myself, yes tom it's broke as you describe, just where the "tube" meets the flat basically

i'm now debating some carbon fibre items rather than grp ones again. anyone know who does them and a rough price?

froggy

posted on 17/12/05 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
how about replacing the flat strip with a u section ?if you cut a piece of inch box to give you a 24mm strip with a 5mm flange either side and then nake a few nicks in the flanges to form a radius to meet the tube fixed to the upright, just a thought but the standard ones have no support between the tube and the bit that you bolt the guard to
Jon Ison

posted on 17/12/05 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I solved the problem on mine by linking the two arms together with a bit of flat bar with a hole drilled in it that the upper ball joint went thru, this took loads a vibration out, added loads a stiffness and never broke again.

greggors84

posted on 18/12/05 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I think the new MK brackets go straight up with no bend so they are all just one piece, then the cycle wings have a little bit sticking out so you can bolt the bracket on without any bending.

These may last longer due to being one piece.

As for CF it might be worth speaking to MK and see if they will get some CF made using their normal molds. If they need a few orders I wouldnt mind a set as I had to butcher mine to get the MK brackets to fit.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.