Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra uprights and calipers
Harry B

posted on 21/12/05 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra uprights and calipers

Does anyone know whether Hammerite Rust Remover can be used on uprights and calipers?The components are put in 1part remover 9 parts water for 24 hours so should be alright,but just dont want to damage the bearings etc..
k33ts

posted on 21/12/05 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
could damage bearing seats youd be better off shot blasting.
raccoonradar

posted on 21/12/05 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
don't know how bad you rust is (would think surface) you would better off using scotch brite (like wire wool) then paint, to many seals to chance it, if it takes rust off then me thinks it with perish rubber ?
Harry B

posted on 21/12/05 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sadly not able to get to a shotblaster.The alternative is to wirebrush it down,then paint them anyway with the Hammerite paint I've got that goes over rust.I have emailed Hammerite but wanted to put the components in tonight so thought I'd try here to get a quick reply.
joolsmi16

posted on 21/12/05 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Shot/sand blasted my uprights used builders sand which is cheaper than the aluminium oxide they recommend but I was happy with the results.
rusty nuts

posted on 21/12/05 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
DO NOT use builders sand for sand blasting , contains silicates IIRC . a major health hazard. try using an angle grinder with a wire brush .Make sure you use goggles and face mask.
Avoneer

posted on 21/12/05 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Wire brush did it for me.

You don't need them pristine.

Wire brush em and paint the hammerite straight on and carefully around the seals.

Never seen an upright with a major rust problem anyway.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chippy

posted on 21/12/05 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I pickled mine using the electrolosis system, kcufed all the bearings, had to replace the lot. The only good thing, now have all new bearings, but less beer tokens.
caber

posted on 21/12/05 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
I used electrolysis on mine and bearings are OK. if bearing surfaces are already rusting or corroded the electrolysis will clean that off so you may find rumbling bearings after electrolysis that were on the way out anyway.

Caber

Harry B

posted on 21/12/05 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for the help.I think I will dip the main part of the metal in the rust remover and make sure the bearings are not in it at all.I will wire brush the plate and bearing bits etc. and then paint it all!Will update you on the progress......
smart51

posted on 22/12/05 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Use a paint-on rust remover like Krust. Dont paint it on the bits you don't want it to touch. easy.
DEAN C.

posted on 22/12/05 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,dont kid yourself that dust from wire brushing is ok either,wear a mask whatever dusts you create.
No type of dust is any good for you!

Grinding dust,welding fumes,paint spray,filler dust and shotblasting dust are all seriously bad news.
I've breathed all the lot over the last 25 years and just hope it doesn't catch up with me, even though I have "usually" worn a mask.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.