Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starting an xFlow ..
ianr

posted on 23/12/05 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Starting an xFlow ..

I hope somebody can put my mind at rest, i am not sure if this is usual behaviour.

I have bought a built xflow striker, when i start here up after a week or so left in the garage i usually have trouble starting , it does seem that nearly every other turn of the key i will here a strange noise similar to the noise of starting engine that is already running, then on the next shot the starter motor tries then the next this noise and so on.

One thought was that the starter motor was going , the other thought was this may be pushing fuel on every other turn ??

Does this sound strange ???

scutter

posted on 24/12/05 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the starter isn't engaging with the flywheel properly, Mine has this problem because i left out the spacer/dustshield plate.

loosen the starter and push up towards the centre line of the crank, then tighten the bolts back up.

Hope this helps Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
k33ts

posted on 24/12/05 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like an xflow to me av u got choke
ianr

posted on 24/12/05 at 01:53 AM Reply With Quote
yes i have got a choke
rusty nuts

posted on 24/12/05 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like an early Xflow with an inertia type starter motor. as already suggested take it off and check for wear on the teeth of the flywheel and bendix. If all is OK clean the bendix and make sure its nice and free. It should throw out the bendix if you can connect a pair of jump leads to it (just touch the positive to the battery) IIRC Xflow starter bendix's were modified to 10 teeth from 9 as this was a common problem
britishtrident

posted on 24/12/05 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Cclean and check the starter drive -- lubricate with very light lubricant eg WD40

While is off examine the ring gear -- 4 cylinder 4 stroke engines only come to rest in 2 postions 180 degrees apart so only 2 sections of the ring gear take the majority of the wear.

Is the shim plate I place between the engine and bellhousing ?

Also is it a 3 bolt or 2 bolt starter mounting --- 2 bolt starters on kent engines cause no end of trouble.

johnjulie

posted on 28/12/05 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
If it's fitted with twin 40 DCOEs, starting can take a little getting used to. You need to pump the accelerator about 12 times if it's not been run for a while to fill the carbs with fuel. This acts like a choke. If the problem only happens when the cars not been used for a while, this sounds like your problem. My Caterham does the same thing. Does it start OK once you have initially started it?
The inertia type starter has 9 teeth, the later pre-engaged type has 10 teeth. The Kent engine has 3 bolt fastening not 2, as used on the Leyland Mini etc. They also have different sizes between holes.
Wear can occur on both the bendix and the ring gear. If you remove the starter and turn the engine over, you can see the ring gear teeth through the hole.
Also if the ignition is quite advanced, you sometimes need to hold the accelerator down slightly after pumping.
Also, check out the thread on page 2, SELECTION AND TUNING OF WEBER CARBURETTORS. Has a section on cold starting.
Cheers John

[Edited on 28/12/05 by johnjulie]

JFDI
"Just F*****G Do It"

ianr

posted on 28/12/05 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnjulie
Does it start OK once you have initially started it?

Yes once it has started and the engine is warm i do not get this behaviour when starting up. I turn the key then it slowly turns for struggling , then half a second later kicks into life.

ianr

posted on 28/12/05 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Originally posted by britishtrident

I am not sure what a shim plate is .

David Jenkins

posted on 28/12/05 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianr

Yes once it has started and the engine is warm i do not get this behaviour when starting up. I turn the key then it slowly turns for struggling , then half a second later kicks into life.

If the weather is frrezing cold and you've got the correct oil in the engine (20W50) then it WILL be a pig to turn over on anything less than a fully charged battery - and it won't be great then. It will be particularly bad if the compression ratio has been raised.

Now obviously I haven't seen the car, but if it's struggling when the weather is freezing and the engine's stone cold, but works OK once it's warm, then I wouldn't worry.

I used my car last week, after it had been sitting in a cold garage for 2 weeks. It would barely turn over, but got there in the end (I couldn't select a gear until the gearbox warmed up either!).

If you're in the mood, you could try a lighter oil and see if that makes a difference (my Haynes book says 10W/30 or 10W/50 for the x/flow). Otherwise, put it in a warm garage and see how it starts then!

David

[Edited on 28/12/05 by David Jenkins]

ianr

posted on 28/12/05 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
It will be particularly bad if the compression ratio has been raised.

When a mate helped me replace the points and we had to find TDC he did remark on the compression was high.

britishtrident

posted on 29/12/05 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Kent engine can be 2 or 3 bolt depends only on bell housing and gearbox type --- 3 bolt type was introduced on Cortina the 1500 because of problems with jamming starters, but not used across the full range for example Mk2 Lotus Cortina usually have a 2 bolt.
britishtrident

posted on 29/12/05 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianr
quote:

Originally posted by britishtrident

I am not sure what a shim plate is .

The shim plate is the thin metal plate between the engine and bellhousing, it provides exact location for the starter if left out it can cause problems.

johnjulie

posted on 31/12/05 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
British Trident, the Crossflow Kent engine was introduced in Sept 67 with the MK 11 1300 & 1600 Cortinas using a 3 bolt starter. The Lotus Cortina was a bored out 1500 engine, not the Kent engine.
Cheers John

JFDI
"Just F*****G Do It"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.