Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 12V solar powered battery charger
kango

posted on 25/12/05 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
12V solar powered battery charger

Done a search on Google and Jeeves, but nothing found.
Anybody with a DIY solution?

omega 24 v6

posted on 25/12/05 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I've got one and will post details later. got to go and open my crimbo pressies
Glan Noye

posted on 25/12/05 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Some on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solar-Panel-Battery-saver-Trickle-Charger-12v_W0QQitemZ8023439627QQcategoryZ15329QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solar-Powered-Car-Battery-Recharger-A-MUST-HAVE-CHARGER_W0QQitemZ8024281098QQcategoryZ15329QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
rayward

posted on 25/12/05 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
www.cpc.co.uk,

£10.95+vat.

Link

Ray

omega 24 v6

posted on 26/12/05 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a link to the version that I aquired from a friend in the UK. It is only a very light trickle charge but it does seem to work,although I have just fitted a new battery prior to setting it up. Hope this helps.

http://www.solarcharger.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.62/it.A/id.64/.f

kango

posted on 30/12/05 at 03:38 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks to all the replies.

I was looking for something DIY. Most of the E Bay items is for the UK or Europe only and it is highly unlikely that I will get to Canada soon Ha Ha Ha.

I stay in SA and wanted the circuitry so I can connect solar panel and keep the battery at full caharge.

Omega...how is the build progressing?

omega 24 v6

posted on 30/12/05 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I've got some more done this week while I'm off Kango.
The basic tube work to the front of the axle is done and the front suspension points are on. It'll soon be time for the obligatary (sp) first vroom vroom photo

02GF74

posted on 3/1/06 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kango

I stay in SA and wanted the circuitry so I can connect solar panel and keep the battery at full charge.

Why? don;t see the point in having one myself. A battery in good condition should not lose its charge. If you have a small current drain e.g. alarm, clock etc. and don't drive for long periods then the battery charge will go down ... but in those cases you disconnect one of the battery leads or fit an isolator switch.

Bob C

posted on 3/1/06 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
lead acid batteries in ANY condition DO self discharge. Mostly after a month or so you can still start the car.
However if the battery is not full the internal chemistry results in chemical erosion of the plates & resulting capacity loss.
You should keep the battery full if poss. & a solar charger doesn't look a bad option. You'd need about 20 photovoltaic cells in series to get 12V. Peak output from a single 4" diam. photovoltaic ponting straight at the sun on a sunny day is about a watt. a shadow over just one cell of the 20 in series kills the power output from all of them.
cheers
Bob

kango

posted on 6/1/06 at 04:34 AM Reply With Quote
That is what I also found. I do disconnect the battery but after some time, especially starting the engine once a week, after 3 months the battery is run down.
I still need to try a solar powered system.

02GF74

posted on 6/1/06 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kango
That is what I also found. I do disconnect the battery but after some time, especially starting the engine once a week, after 3 months the battery is run down.
I still need to try a solar powered system.

whoah, hold on a moment. You start the engine once a week and the battery runs down? The starter motor uses a lot of current so you need to run the engine for a while, I'm guessing 15 minutes or more to get the battery to its original charge, assuming the alternator is working correclty too. If you don't do that, then ofcourse the battery will not be able to start car after a while.

I haven't looked at any battery data but would be surprised if the self discharge is that large that the battery is unable to start a car after one year - need to look this up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.