Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Remote Gear Linkage
Blue Hurricane

posted on 29/12/05 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Remote Gear Linkage

All,

Having now fitted my scuttle and dash, I have the usual problem of the gear stick being in-line with the dash (it always was too far forward if I’m honest). I have seen various solutions for making a remote gear linkage.

The Westfield one looks nice (It should for the price!) but, does any one know how much the Westfield remote (type 9) shifts the gear stick rearwards.

Cheers,

Blue H.....

Humbug

posted on 29/12/05 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
about 4-5" I think. If you do a search on here for gear lever extension there are a few threads.

If the problem is the lever hitting the dash, rather than being to far away to reach, you could try just making the lever shorter. I took the top part off my lever (although I have re-extended it in height a little) and it's still got an OK throw and clears the dash... though it will depend on your dash - mine goes straight across and doesn't have a centre panel going down to the tunnel top.

emsfactory

posted on 29/12/05 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I bent my lever back so it didn't hit the dash.
Worked ok.
I want to do an extension also.
Where did you see the westfield one?
I looked on the site but couldn't see it?

quattromike

posted on 29/12/05 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
I made my one by knocking the roll pin out of the gear selector lever , and making up an extention piece then put the lever back on to the new 6" extention. Rescued attachment P9120031lil.JPG
Rescued attachment P9120031lil.JPG

rusty nuts

posted on 29/12/05 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Made my own following instructions I found on here. I think it was on David Jenkins site. Total cost a few bits of scrap and less than a pond. Also shows how to make quickshift. Well worth a search , I would post a link if I knew how.
Blue Hurricane

posted on 29/12/05 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Here was the original Westfield Remote Linkage I was lookig at:-

http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/shop/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=77&numRecordPosition=26&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteri a=

Cheers,

Blue H.....

rusty nuts

posted on 29/12/05 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Way too expensive .
Mike R-F

posted on 29/12/05 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
They come up on ebay every now & again, that's where I got mine. Quality bit of kit!
omega 24 v6

posted on 29/12/05 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
I got a pdf file on here somewhere but I can't remeber who to give the credit for it to. Any way if you u2u me I could send it to your email.
muzchap

posted on 29/12/05 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
When you see the quality of the Westfield part - you won't think its expensive...

Is it worth risking your gearbox? for the sake of £80?

Personally I thought not - so purchased it - but I have limited tools and about as much technical nouse as a squirrel...

So to some of you boys - knocking a replica together would be easy

andyharding

posted on 30/12/05 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
I could have made one but bought the westy one. Very nice bit of kit and well worth the loot.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

NS Dev

posted on 30/12/05 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
................................there's no "risking the gearbox" about it, that's a load of codswallop.

The main thing with making your own is you can make one much better than the Westy one!!!

The one that David Jenkins has made is very similar in operation to mine, and one mentioned further up this thread, whereby you reuse the old ford bellcrank instead of duplicating the crank and fork arrangements like westy do.

The westy shift doubles the play in everything due to having two cranks and forks involved.

rusty nuts

posted on 30/12/05 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
When a second hand Sierra box costs maybe £40-£50 why spend a fortune on a remote ? If made properly then no damage to box can occur . If you abuse the gear change/box it doesn't matter if it's a £1 remote or an £80 remote . This is the Locost website after all
rusty nuts

posted on 30/12/05 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Andy , after seing your pedal box I'm suprised you brought a westfield remote. After producing work like that a remote would have been a doddle.
andyharding

posted on 30/12/05 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Andy , after seing your pedal box I'm suprised you brought a westfield remote. After producing work like that a remote would have been a doddle.

Cheers

I could have but not up to the standard of the Westie one with the tools I have. Was easier (read quicker) just to part with the cash than spend ages arsing around trying to get it to work right.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.