Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Hand brake cable
donut

posted on 21/2/03 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hand brake cable

Does anyone know where i can get a ready made hand brake cable for the Indy? I don't trust myself do butcher an old one!

or

Can anyone tell me how to convert a sierra one.

Many thanks in advance

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 21/2/03 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I put some posts on the Running Gear forum about this, you might have already seen it...
Simon

posted on 21/2/03 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
donut,

I appreciate you're probably being rather safety concious (which is admirable, and the way to go) with your worries about butchering an old cable, but I would ask you to bear in mind exactly what your mods will be doing.

Stopping a vehicle from moving (from stationary).

All the braking effort is done by the shoes, not the cables (they just connect your hand to the shoes) - there is probably not more than 20lbs of pull on cable (anyone know better?) - a fishing line would probably do the job (I'm just trying to illustrate a point here - not recommending anything).

I'd give it a go - if you're still not happy then think about custom fabricated jobby.

"Having a go" with cables you've possibly already got (from donor) won't cost you much more than a couple of quid, and you may be happy with the end result.

ATB

Simon

donut

posted on 21/2/03 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guy's

Zetec: Hi dude hows it going? Been to the SVA man yet??? I have seen your pics and they are very interesting, a little over engeneered for my liking but very good none the less. I will probably have a go at modifying a new set when the time comes.

I'll write to you soon mate.

Simon: Good point there. I guess if i get hold of a nice new set then i can modify them and make sure all connectors are 100% safe and tight.

cheers

andy

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dodgyroger

posted on 21/2/03 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
I used the cable from my donor Sierra. I cut it, removed a section and clamped the two halves of the cable back together (overlapping by about 50mm) using 2 mini U clamps (or what ever you call them).

The tricky part was grinding out two slots in the top of the differential to allow the cables to seat correctly, not joining the cables.

I can post a photo if it helps?

Roger

http://www.dodgyroger.com/locost

donut

posted on 21/2/03 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Roger

I thinks thats the route i'm going to take. I found that an angle grinder and round file sorted out any problems with the diff getting in the way! My chassis is the latest version and Martin said the diff should clear the cables without much grinding at all.

Cheers

Andy

Andy

bob

posted on 21/2/03 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
ANDY

I got some spare cable clamps you can have in exchange for a cuppa at box hill on the 2nd

donut

posted on 21/2/03 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
DONE!

Andy

santcliff

posted on 21/2/03 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
My chassis is the latest version and Martin said the diff should clear the cables without much grinding at all.

not had to do any grinding, and it looks ok to me. those little pipes are magic.

i went for chopping off the end and then re-criping. seems ok

stuart

One o' cross beams gone owt askew ont' treddle

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.