Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Lobro drive shaft bolt failure
smart51

posted on 1/1/06 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Lobro drive shaft bolt failure

The bolts holding the lobro shaft to my rear right wheel broke today. 4 of them came loose and two then snapped. There was a Clonking noise and a loss of power, just before a layby, luckily and only 3 or 4 miles away from home.

My wife brought me a trolley jack and I put back in the 3 remaining good bolts and drove home slowly. The broken stud came out alright and there is no real damage, I just need a full set on new bolts now.

It seemed that I hadn't put threadlock on this end. I checked the others whilst I was under the car and they were all tight and threadlocked. It seems the shake proof washers on their own are not enough.

It seems like a weak design to me, only the bolts hodling the shafts on and transmitting all the power. Not fail safe really.

Are the 12.9 cap head bolts that I used a good enough spec?
What is the best way to clean the threads prior to applying threadlock?
How much threadlock should I have used?

I'll go round and check ALL the bolts on the car for tightness tomorrow.

amalyos

posted on 1/1/06 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure the std bolts are 12.9 quality, they should be OK. (I'm just about to order some for my build so I hope so!!!)

I did notice the doner I used had some loose bolts.

An idea may be to fit and torque them up (to stretch them) without threadlock, then remove them an apply threadlock after, but they do need to be free of any grease, try using a good degreaser or thinners maybe.

Steve.

Wadders

posted on 1/1/06 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair i think you should use the genuine ford tab washer thingies, its virtually impossible to clean the threads properly for threadlock,because the bolts pick up grease from the lobros as you assemble them. Saying that i've had no problems since i fitted spring washers, although i do check them regularly. Grade 12.9 is fine btw.

Originally posted by smart51
The bolts holding the lobro shaft to my rear right wheel broke today. 4 of them came loose and two then snapped. There was a Clonking noise and a loss of power, just before a layby, luckily and only 3 or 4 miles away from home.

My wife brought me a trolley jack and I put back in the 3 remaining good bolts and drove home slowly. The broken stud came out alright and there is no real damage, I just need a full set on new bolts now.

It seemed that I hadn't put threadlock on this end. I checked the others whilst I was under the car and they were all tight and threadlocked. It seems the shake proof washers on their own are not enough.

It seems like a weak design to me, only the bolts hodling the shafts on and transmitting all the power. Not fail safe really.

Are the 12.9 cap head bolts that I used a good enough spec?
What is the best way to clean the threads prior to applying threadlock?
How much threadlock should I have used?

I'll go round and check ALL the bolts on the car for tightness tomorrow.

steve_gus

posted on 1/1/06 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ford used these joints on sierra and granada and there must have been about a gadzullion made - and I dont think that your problem was common or we would have heard about it.

Anyways, the propshaft drive flange to the diff also only attaches by two flat surfaces and four bolts..... I wouldnt mind betting thats standard practice....

I have to refit a shaft on my car soon, and I dont have enougth bolts. (Had to cut them as the T40 bit just shatters on these old bolts) So, im gonna buy 6 bolts and three of the locktab thingys from a ford dealer - i dont expect them to be that expensive......

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
aerobrick

posted on 1/1/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i am building an f27 but mainly i am on the ford sierra owners club website got lots of info on ford bits there good bunch of guys and gals.

As for lobro bolt failure its the 1st time i have heard about it and some of the cars are seriously modded .

The replacement bolts and lock tabs are still available and pretty cheap best to change the lot .

I have found that cleaning out the holes with carb cleaner helps then sealing the holes with masking tape to prevent grease etc to get in prior to final assembly
helps.

Oh dont bother getting them off ebay cos all they try and do is add cossie tax and you dont know how good the spec is.

twinturbo

posted on 2/1/06 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
With Aero here, Also a sierra club member.

Ford don't actualy supply a locktab it's just a flat plate with holse for two bolts, I am not sure what purpose it servers other than to prevent the bolt head chewing up the shaft surface.

I have run a car 1000's of miles with two missing without a problem.

And the same bolts are used on cosworths producing 500BHP+

I have snapped and twisted 3 T40's getting them out but they have never been threadlocked. Once the head is ground and the shaft removed they usualy twist out by finger.

Ford do a T45 version of the bolt apparantly which is obviously better for un/doing..

TT

twinturbo

posted on 2/1/06 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
P.s.

An impact driver and a 5lb hammer is a good idea when trying to remove...

TT

bob

posted on 2/1/06 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
The banana shape two hole washer/tabs on the bolt on drive shafts are there to spread the load of the bolts,i was told by a local ford mechanic not to over tighten these bolts as it is possible to crush the case of the cv joint.

The torque setting for the bolts is less than people would think at 38 to 43 Nm 28 to 32 lb ft

Avoneer

posted on 2/1/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Mr Smart51,

Sorry to hear about that.

The bolts were good quality from my local bolt place and I have used the same ones/type for various apps without failure.

I also know several cars that only use these with the "frilly" washers.

Very rare that you hear of them working loose/snapping.

Were they torqued up right and not just FT?

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 2/1/06 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
The torque setting for the bolts is less than people would think at 38 to 43 Nm 28 to 32 lb ft

How, then, do you stop them coming loose?

Avoneer

posted on 2/1/06 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
I'd use the same bolts again, but drill a 1mm hole through the wall of the head and lock wire pairs together.

Pat...

RichieC

posted on 2/1/06 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
For all there should be no requirement to do that, it will definately prevent them coming loose, might also help with peace of mind. Still not sure why some worked out and some snapped.

Ill be using the banana shaped spreaders I think in the same way as Ford did.

Rgds

Rich

bob

posted on 2/1/06 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bob

How, then, do you stop them coming loose?

Threadlock has worked for me,before re fitting i did degrease the new bolts so as not to infect ot weaken the threadlock.

Jon Ison

posted on 2/1/06 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I'll start by saying "dont use frilly washers"

Ive used frilly washers with no probs for 3 years on two cars that have seen serious road and track work............

And i will finish by saying "dont use frilly washers"

If I said jump off a cliff.........

smart51

posted on 2/1/06 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison

Ive used frilly washers with no probs for 3 years on two cars that have seen serious road and track work............

Cryptic

NS Dev

posted on 2/1/06 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'LL START BY AGREEING!!

EITHER: Clean the threads, then lightly oil them and torque them up to the correct torque (which I think is considerably higher than I saw mentioned further up the thread but I don't have the figure handy. It's certainly more than you can do with an allen key!)

OR: Clean and loctite the threads and do the same.

I have NEVER had these come loose, when fitted to a car which has a locked diff and will twist it's driveshafts through 90 degrees, and I used NO washers at all and no load spreader plates either.

RichieC

posted on 2/1/06 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Do I remember you saying you had done some destruction testing on these bolts Dev? Im sure you said you ran them tighter than Haynes reckon?

Rich
edited to add previous thread

[Edited on 2/1/06 by RichieC]

Jon Ison

posted on 2/1/06 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
I'll start by saying "don't use frilly washers"

Cryptic

It wouldn't be that cryptic if you had read a thread from many moons ago when frilly washers or no washers but only ford spready things was the only way too go, hence "don't use frilly washers" as I don't want too recommend them just let people know Ive had no probs with them even though you shouldn't use them, does that make any sense ? prob not, clear as mud then.

Avoneer

posted on 2/1/06 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I think what Jon is trying to say is that he uses them with no problems.

I took his advice on this one as if anyone knows how to test things to destrucion, it must be Jon.

Pat...

bob

posted on 2/1/06 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
NS Dev

I 'm just quoting what the haynes said re torque levels on the bolts,local garage agreed it seems low but mine havnt come loose although i doubt very much my torque wrench is perfect.

Like said earlier if everything is clean and threadlocked everything should be fine.

jono_misfit

posted on 2/1/06 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Were the bolts definatley torqued correctly when fitted orriginally?

Ive taken quite a few of these apart, all you should do is replace them with the equivilent strength bolt and do them to the required torque.

One thing to do is make sure the banana washer thing is propperly free from rust on both faces. If its not it can fret abit and reduce the clamping torque of the bolt and when that happens they may loosen and fall out.

On the subject of lock wire, im pretty sure it doesnt stop things loosening off it just stops them falling out. You can often see a big change in clamping torque for a small rotation of the bolt.

A good book to read on the subject is "Nuts bolts and fastners" by Carrol Smith. Covers most things you'd ever want to know about bolts in great detail.

jono

[Edited on 2/1/06 by jono_misfit]

RichieC

posted on 2/1/06 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Providing wire locking is done correctly (ie not antilocked) the bolt is prevented from rotating and therefore slackening.

Rich

Avoneer

posted on 2/1/06 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - two bolts tightly (and correctly) lockwired together would prevent either of them turning.

And would provide extra piece of mind.

Pat...

Stu16v

posted on 2/1/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of the time, it isnt the bolts coming loose that is the (initial) problem. It is the loss of clamping force - and that may occur for a number of reasons...

As mentioned above, make sure the 'banana shaped washer things' are spotlessly clean, no damage etc. This equally applies for the whole 'lobro-joint-to-flange' assembly. Even the finest coating of paint on one mating surface can cause havoc when things get warm for the first time, and the paint softens. Also, some CV boot kits/CV joints are supplied with paper gaskets. On NO account should these be used, as the gaskets will compress, and again lose clamping force -make sure all of the mating surfaces are damage free metal to metal only.

It is sadly a more common thing than most here would believe, and often occurs after a new build, or disturbance. With care, and a regular spanner check for the first few times of use, they shouldnt be a thing to worry about. The use of frilly washers shouldn't be necessary, and may also possibly affect clamping force. Others have used them with success, but YMMV...

[Edited on 2/1/06 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

NS Dev

posted on 2/1/06 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichieC
Do I remember you saying you had done some destruction testing on these bolts Dev? Im sure you said you ran them tighter than Haynes reckon?

Rich
edited to add previous thread

[Edited on 2/1/06 by RichieC]

Aha!!

Cheers mate!

Yes I did do that and the figures are as per the thread you nicely linked!

Stu's advice is also spot on, everything needs to be cleaned in solvent etc before assembly. I molg grease the joint then clean off around it with brake cleaner before assembly.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.