Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting aluminium sheet
robertwa

posted on 5/1/06 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
Cutting aluminium sheet

What's best for cutting a straight line in 16 gauge diamond plate? Jigsaw, sawzall or angle grinder?
Thanks
Rob

suparuss

posted on 5/1/06 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
best to use would be a circular saw with a proper blade, but a jig saw should be ok with a straight edge set. let the blade do the work and it shouldnt veer off.

Russ.

steve_gus

posted on 5/1/06 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
dont understand what you mean by diamond plate, but I have cut 2mm thick alu with a hand nibbler. Using a hand grinders isnt a good method as alu is soft and it tends to burr the edges quite badly.

I have also heard of a method where you 'score' the sheet with a sharp blade, then bend the plate back and forth on the axis to cause it to break , but i havnt tried this method....

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimgiblett

posted on 5/1/06 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
You shouldnt use a grinder on ali as it impregnates the abrasive. This can subsequently explode the disk with potentially injury.

Guillotine is best but then Circ saw or course bladed jigsaw. Note that the foot of the saw will mark the surface of the ali if not masked well.

Peteff

posted on 5/1/06 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Chequer plate.

Cut it with a jigsaw and use penetrating oil on the cut line. Gaffer tape on the base of the saw and cut from the rear and you won't mark the surface.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ayoungman

posted on 5/1/06 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
I've done a lot of chequer plate on the landy. Definately go for jigsaw. Use a length of timber as a guide to achieve a straight edge. Don't rush it ! HTH

"just like that !"

02GF74

posted on 5/1/06 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
grinder - no; disc will clog as mentioned.

jigsaw is what I use but I tend to find the blade can wander off line so just keep an eye on it and adjust as required; usaully needs a bit of filing to straingten up.

Sheers and cutters tens to distort the edge.

Another option is to use a hacksaw, the type with a free blade (don't know the exact name).

trextr7monkey

posted on 5/1/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Industrial jigsaw with coarse blade and loads of oil on top of permanent pen marked line, have cut fairly complicated quarter inch tread plate using this, oil makes job much easier but a bit smelly and ear muffs essential.
chrisf

posted on 5/1/06 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've found that a 1/8" cutoff wheel on an angle grinder works best. Then, clean up the endges using a file and long strokes. Jig saws are very difficult to use IMHO.

--Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 5/1/06 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Jig saws may be difficult to use but they are safer . I knew a guy that nearly lost his arm due to incorrect use of a grinder when the disc exploded. DO NOT USE ON ALUMINIUM!
chrisf

posted on 5/1/06 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert mind you, but I've been through 20 or so cutoff wheels and never once broken one. I use the ones with the fiber webbing and never even had a crack. Still, if there is a big risk, I suggest others not follow my example.

--Chris

geoff shep

posted on 5/1/06 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've always had the best results on aluminium with a nibbler. Cuts straight, accurately and without any distortion (like you get with snips)
robertwa

posted on 5/1/06 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,
I guess I will go buy a jigsaw so......
I had to leave all my power tools behind when I emigrated to US.
I'm sure I'll use it for other things anyway
Rob

James

posted on 6/1/06 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
I found the jigsaw even with ali blade to be utter rubbish!

So I very successfully used a 4.5" diameter 1mm angle grinder blade! Can't really see how there's enough mass for it to cut an arm off- even at 9000RPM!

A fresh 9" diameter blade that's 3mm (1/8th) thick I guess might have enough mass to cause a problem but not sure I see it myself!

Obviously you must wear goggles, ear defenders and thick gloves.

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 6/1/06 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

David Jenkins

posted on 6/1/06 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble I found when using a grinder was that the disc loaded up with aluminium so badly that it was barely able to work. I gave up when it started to jam in the workpiece, and began kicking back...

Grinding discs work by wearing away the metal, whilst wearing itself away to expose fresh grinding edges - the ali stops that happening.

Jigsaw worked fine for me, as long as I took my time and allowed the blade to do its work without pushing.

David

lexi

posted on 6/1/06 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thing is guys it`s all down to the discs and blades that you use. I don`t recommend anybody does it but I have cut loads of steel with a Sthilsaw and all types of angle grinders and have found that Stone type blades last longer and cut better than the metal ones. They do leave a burr on the metal as they peel their way through it which has to be dressed.Have never found any grinders to be good on ally but Iaint found the right blade. Same with jigsaws..crap. Until one day I found a few blades in my box which cut the ally really well so it`s a question of ringing the changes with blades and cutting fluids.
Alex

planetester

posted on 8/1/06 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ive had real good finish with a b&q router, but you need a guide to follow otherwise you have no control at all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.