Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Connecting 2nd PC to wireless
richyo

posted on 5/1/06 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Connecting 2nd PC to wireless

I'm trying to connect a desktop to BT broadband wireless router and am having big problems. PC has a Belkin USB and is reading the router but can't connect to the internet. I've tried loading BT broadband cd but it claims it can't read the router, even when it is right next to it. The laptop works ok with the wireless. Question is do I have to load the BT broadband disc or is there another way to do it ?
I've tried reading the other queries on wirless on here but I'm lost. Pinging ? Thought it was a golf club.

Can anyone help before my blood pressure goes through the roof and the pc goes in the bin

TIA
Richyo

DaveFJ

posted on 5/1/06 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
can you give us an exact description of your setup...

which router model ?
how is it connected to everything ?
is wireless working at the moment anywhere ?
how is router configured ?
what operating systems are you running ?
what service pack level are they at ?
what wireless hardware are you using ?
Are your wireless connections set to let "windows manage" the connection ?
do you have any firewall software installed on the PC ?

basically the more info you can give us the better we can help.

[Edited on 5/1/06 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

jestre

posted on 5/1/06 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
1. ssid set correctly?
2. wep/wpa set correctly
3. any interferance in the room (microwave, cordless phone?)
4. dump the USB nic and buy a pci based one

-=too much horsepower is just enough=-

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richyo

posted on 5/1/06 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
DaveFJ

Its a BTvoyager router which is connected to phone via a microfilter. Laptop is running off it with XP and connects all over the house no problem. Don't understand what you mean by how is router configured or what service pack Sorry. PC is on windows 2000. Wireless hardware is what came with the Belkin USB. Can't get the BT Wireless stuff to load. Have to check tonight re firewall soft ware

jestre,sorry but I only understand 3 and 4 . no cordless phone or microwave and understand the pci bit.

I seem to remember that when setting up the USB it was 128 bit encryption and the wireless key was 13 digits. Your comment on wep/wap seems to ring a bell.

I'm a complete muppet when it comes to this but if you guys could help it would be great and stop the continual fighting over who gets the laptop next

Cheers

Richyo

jestre

posted on 5/1/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
SSID = Network name (default is brandname of router)

WEP is a security key / encryption.. this is probably the most important thing to have correct. it will be a case sensitive string.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jestre

posted on 5/1/06 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
possible a dumb question, but why not plug an ethernet cable into the pc to the router?

ps.. i reread your first post and I am 95% certain you mistyped the WEP key.

lewis635

posted on 5/1/06 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you have entered the MAC address of the belkin usb into the access list on the router, it will be easier to use the laptop to do this, just enter the router setup page and look for the mac address.
HTH

PS i find it easier to disable wep protection while i am setting up as it is one less thing to worry about.

[Edited on 5/1/06 by lewis635]

DaveFJ

posted on 5/1/06 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
All good advice

a WEP key will be a 26 digit hexidecimal number (if you are using 128 bit encryption) and is not case sensitive.

MAC address blocking is not set up by default on (all?) roouters so I doubt it is your problem.

If you have set up a WEP key on your laptop and that is working, it is because the router is setup with the identical WEP key.

Therefore your PC needs to have the same WEP key as well. to configure it you need to go into whatever configuration software you are using on the PC for the USB wireless dongle. This does seem the most likely candidate at the moment.

failing that we need to start looking at IP addresses and DHCP........

It would be helpful if you could post the results of IPCONFIG for both machines.

(see the other recewnt thread for how to achieve this) http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=36479

[Edited on 5/1/06 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

richyo

posted on 6/1/06 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
jestre

Ethernet cable d'oh

All fine now

Thanks everyone

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.