Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Towing Licence
mak

posted on 7/1/06 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Towing Licence

If you passed your driving test, after 1997 I believe, like me, you are not licenced to tow.

Now I know the fact that I cannot legally tow is really going to hamper me in the long-run, so I am keen to upgrade my licence.

I have heard the test is quite strict and tricky.

Can anyone who has taken this extra test please explain whats involved in it, including costs etc...

Cheers, Mark

indykid

posted on 7/1/06 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
not true.

i assumed this was the case, but according to the dvla website, i can tow, but not exceeding a train weight of 3500kgs, iirc, and not over certain other limits.

i think i worked it out, i could tow an indy on a light car trailer with a cavalier. not a lot of info on the trailer test except a friend took hers for the council and failed miserably. it is strict, and expensive.

will find a link to the above regs,
hth
tom

indykid

posted on 7/1/06 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
don't know if this word file will attach, but this is what the dvla website says.

hth
tom
it seems to work, but let me know if it doesn't

[Edited on 7/1/06 by indykid]

mak

posted on 7/1/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Tom, should manage that weight with my car.
Although our trailer is fairly heavy, and being towed by a landy?! But hopefully plod won't mind 100kg here and there.
Just wish the DVLA could make this clear.

Still be useful to get a heavy trailer/heavy vehicle licence (not as far as HGV)

JoelP

posted on 7/1/06 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
me too, and minibuses arent allowed either...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

oliwb

posted on 7/1/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Know a couple of people who have done the test, I was told it was really hard by one of the trainners. However, one of my mates did it in Dumfries and said it was piss...and to be honest he's a fairly to really crap driver....especially with trailers! Think its typical DVLA! Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave_w11
Junior Builder

Posts 45
Registered 20/12/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: A bookish chassis. Engine still undecided.

posted on 7/1/06 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've been looking into this mainly for wanting to tow my locost around when it's finished. All the info I can find from DVLA talks about "maximum authorised mass" of the trailer having to be lower than the kerb weight of the towing car. I think there's supposed to be a plate on the trailer stating this, but I don't know what happens if you made your own trailer and dont have such a plate.

Everything seems very unclear so I'm hoping a blind eye will be turned as long as you're not doing something stupid. Does anyone know what you'd get if you were pulled for it?

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/endorsem.htm

Says "Driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence.........." 3-6 points. If that's all then I think I'll risk it and hope there isn't much of a fine too.

k33ts

posted on 7/1/06 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
this explains it in english

www.ntta.co.uk/law/law.driving_licences.htm

dont know how to link perhaps someone could tell me

JoelP

posted on 7/1/06 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
to make a link active, just include the http:// bit, or copy and paste it whole.

Im also very interested in trailer markings, because i heard that trailers need testing or at least they need a plate stating the details and the manufacturer. Any truth in this?

correct link:

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/driving_licences.htm

[Edited on 7/1/06 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

k33ts

posted on 7/1/06 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
try
http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/identification_plates.htm

hey it works cheers

[Edited on 7/1/06 by k33ts]
maybe no

try that

ned

posted on 7/1/06 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
well the likelihood is you'd never get done for it anyway, i've driven an amercian long wheelbase cheve camper with race car in enclosed steel trailer with spares (including spare iron block 2ltr engine) and never had any problems. probably over the 3.5tons but never mind.

i;d certainly not worry about a locost on a lightweight trailer (as long as it's braked) behind a sensible towing saloon.

Yes i'm probably stupid, yes its probably illegal. Why don't they pick on the people who don't drive on the left on motorways or who indicate one way and go the other at t-juntions. grr.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mak

posted on 7/1/06 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well our trailer is pretty old and I doubt I could find 'the-plate', but other than that it appears towing it with a light car on it is legal with my licence. I think as long as your trailer looks right, and is lit correctly you'll be fine whatever, an officer would'nt look twice if you were using a landy.

Ned your not connected with a Mr Preston by any chance are you?

Mark

k33ts

posted on 8/1/06 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
its very rare a copper will stop you with a trailer unless it looks un roadworthy they dont know the laws anyway on trailers

but the ministry of transport do quite often especialy through the summer when the caravaners are about have spot checks calling loads of the motorway and checking

can be big fines if over weight or illegal

you should ok towing a seven about make sure all the lights work tyres good and trailer looks tidy

[Edited on 8/1/06 by k33ts]

ned

posted on 8/1/06 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mak
Ned your not connected with a Mr Preston by any chance are you?

Mark

No idea what you're talking about I'm afraid Mark!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.