Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shielding stuff....
oliwb

posted on 7/1/06 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Shielding stuff....

Hi, got me megajolt and started wiring it, but whats the deal with interference and shielded cables.....I've just used a combination of Maplin and halfords standard cable.....Now I know I'm a bit dense when it comes to wiring but please don't tell me I need new wiring and have to do it all over again! Cheers Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daxrushv6

posted on 7/1/06 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
On my DTA instructions it said to use shielded cable for the crank sensor and to use normal auto cable for the rest and for the sensors to twist the cables together, as in twisted pair.
Not sure what you have but if you use shielded cables remember to only earth the shield at one end.

stevec

posted on 7/1/06 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Its a good idea to keep signal cables as far as possible from high current cables such as starter motor cable.You can get false trigger signals as the engine cranks.
MkIndy7

posted on 7/1/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at the picture of the blue wire, have you just taped up the shielding/brading?

I thought u were supposed to earth this at both ends?

I'm sure thats how it was on the shielding for the pip and saw lines on the ford EDIS,

oliwb

posted on 7/1/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
anyone know how these shielding cables actually work??? Looks like I'm gonna have to re-do a lot of it! Thanks....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flyingkiwi

posted on 7/1/06 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
If my memory is still ok, I think the shielding works by dissipating any induced current into the wire, preventing the main core from getting exposed. Similar effect on TV cable too, which prevents stray RF signals from interferring.

IIRC if two wires run near each other one can induce a current into the other if the current/voltage is high enough.

Hence why the RAF/RN are spending a hell of a lot of money at the mo changing all the armament circuits to tri shielded wire on the GR7 upgrade.

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

paulf

posted on 7/1/06 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Oli
You need to use shielded wire for the cranksensor to edis and the SAW and PiP wires from edis to megajolt. If you look at the wiring on the edis plug you will note this is shielded on these connections.I found some fiestas have the crank sensor wiring from front of the engine to the inner wing via chassis rail and front cross member and it is plenty long enough to use on a seven from sensor to megajolt under scuttle.
You need to earth all shields at one end only in this case at the Edis unit.Also feed the megajolt from the edis live supply via an inline fuse of about 1amp.
Contact me if you require anymore info.
Paul.

MkIndy7

posted on 7/1/06 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if it matters or defeats the object but as you can't see whats going on with the shielding at the crank sencor end, I connected the braiding at the crank end to a spare core and then to the same earth at the EDIS end

We used something like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=230&doy=7m1
(think you'd only need the 4 core at 99p/m)

I happened to find at work, its used on control circuits for detectors and actuators etc on large commercial heating systems(shops, factorys, wharehouses, offices etc).
There's usually loads lying around above cielings that contractors have left, or keep an eye out when there clearing site

Mix

posted on 8/1/06 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not 100% sure here so feel free to correct me , but shouldn't sheilding only be grounded at one end to prevent the possibilty of ground loops?

Mick

Bob C

posted on 8/1/06 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Shielding is one of those 'black art' things that you get used to after years of experience. Any EMC advice agent will say ground the shielding at bOTH ends - but this can be problematic in a car - it's all to easy for an unrelated fault to divert the starter motor current though the shielding & make a right mess.
A car is generally not so bad a place for interference, being a metal box without AC supplies!!
cheers
Bob

paulf

posted on 8/1/06 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thats generally correct, and on the donor Fords the sheilds are all earthed at the Edis mounting point only.
As Bob c says it is more important when in an ac enviroment where the sheild could actually act as a inductive loop and pick up stray current in the circuit if made into a loop by earthing both ends.
The crank sensor wiring is best done using the cable and plug from a donor car .
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by Mix
I'm not 100% sure here so feel free to correct me , but shouldn't sheilding only be grounded at one end to prevent the possibilty of ground loops?

Mick

02GF74

posted on 9/1/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flyingkiwi

IIRC if two wires run near each other one can induce a current into the other if the current/voltage is high enough.

you can reduce the effect by routing the wires far apart and if they have to cross, then they do this at right angles. running them parallel is bad.

Ground at one end as said.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.