Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Self build house
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 9/1/06 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Self build house

I have been looking for a place to buy locally and its just too bloody expensive.

Economically I can't justify spending that much money, so i have decided to self build, i am waiting for outline planning for my plot and god willing i will be on my way.

Any one like to offer any advice/experience/warnings before i go for it

My father has been in the building trade all his life, and i repect his judgement. He thinks its a good idea and thats good enough for me.

Plus i can afford it too

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Hellfire

posted on 9/1/06 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Go for it . If you had to buy the land, then maybe it'd be different but as you own the plot, you've got very little reason not to build yourself.

steve_gus

posted on 9/1/06 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
how does that work then, does it pump up, spring up from a flat pack, or do you just add water?

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 9/1/06 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Liam, are you doing a scratch build or kit

Daxrushv6

posted on 9/1/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I built mine about 5 yrs ago, always costs way more than you think. And the stress building while working full time cost me my marriage and sanity, well maybe me sanity had already gone. But would still do it again if plots were realistic prices.
Messenjah

posted on 9/1/06 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
put toilets above one another to make the pipework and drains easier

and dont do dry stone walls it take sforever hehe

Ian Pearson

posted on 9/1/06 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
You are very fortunate to have found some land to build on.

It's the best way (IMHO), to get the most return on your money/skills. Timber frame is probably the fastest way to get a waterproof shell, but if you can lay bricks, a conventionally built house will probably be the cheaper route.

Remember that provided you live in the house for a minimum of a year, you can claim all your VAT back. Keep ALL your receipts! Good luck!

Johnmor

posted on 9/1/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
House build

I built my own house 10 yeas ago, I was in the building trade so it was not too bad. Took me 12 months and cost was within budget.
Now worth 5x cost
Best thing I ever did.

Tips:

Build bigger than you think you will need.
Do as much as you can yourself.
Insulate all internal walls.
Build a kit if you can, better insualtion, easier if your doing it yourself (made my own kit).
Reduce floor joist centres ie 400mm, makes a big diiference.

And of course build a massive garage.

GO FOR IT!!!!

Volvorsport

posted on 9/1/06 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
buy a house from america , about $36,000 usd

fooking huge things - will be up in a couple a weeks

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

steve_gus

posted on 9/1/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
american houses tend to be totally timber framed and dry panelled - i have never seen a house with that construction in the UK. Is it against building regs?

how about this

http://www.skyehomes.co.uk/

atb

steve

[Edited on 9/1/06 by steve_gus]

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Aboardman

posted on 9/1/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
i have some details on timber frame houses at work and i think very good price, as much as you want i would say the house has to bigger than the garage.
Jubal

posted on 9/1/06 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
As a "non builder" I have just built a house. There are a few tips I'd pass on:

1. Sort the finances early with someone who understands self build. Stage payments are fine but do your cashflow sums.

2. Build it yourself (as in do not have a main contractor but employ the trades directly). This means that you can use the NHBC Solo certification system. V cheap and your house will have a 10 year warranty. It also serves as stage payment certificates.

3. Choose a timber frame kit from a decent company and as well as producing the detailed plans they will project manage your planning application (and building regs) as part of the deal. This, along with the NHBC stage certificates means you don't need a
an architect at all.

4. Once you have detailed plans pay the small fee to get a bill of materials/estimate from one of the many places that offer this service. Pay about 100 quid. This will not be 100% accurate but will give you a good estimate of the costs and materials for every part of the build.

5. Open a trade account at a decent builder's merchant and supply all the materials yourself at trade prices.

6. If you are not skilled or do not have the time to spare then hire a project manager (take up references). He/she will save you their fee as a minimum and save you loads of heartache.

7. Keep all your receipts for materials as providing the house is for your or your family's own use as a residence then you are entitled to claim 100% of the VAT back on all materials used. There are strict rules around this and you must claim quickly following completion. Read all about it at HM Customs website.

Above all if you have the land then it is criminal not to. But if you're in the NW and don't fancy it then drop me a U2U...

[Edited on 9/1/06 by Jubal]

Mike R-F

posted on 9/1/06 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I built my own home in Scotland some 10 years ago from a timber frame kit. From my research at the time, I don't think timber frame houses were/are too popular in England/Wales although they tend to be the norm up here. If you choose to go this route, as a rule of thumb, allow one third of the cost for the timber frame kit & two thirds for the rest (excluding land). So if your kit costs £20K, allow £40K for the rest.
lsdweb

posted on 9/1/06 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Liam

We self built ours and it wasn't too painful - we ahve the same size mortgage as we did for the last 3 bed semi which was about the same size as my garage now!

I can point you in the direction of a couple of good timber frame companies in West Wales.

Think of it as any other project - it just needs managing correctly. Putting one brick on top of each other is pretty easy - getting the people and the bricks there at the right time is a lot harder!

Regards

Wyn

robinbastd

posted on 9/1/06 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'm just coming to the end (I bloody hope so) of gutting,rebuilding and extending an old mobile home. For all intents and purposes it is now a huge,timber framed bungalow.
I've done all the work myself but have thrown in the towel over a few electrical doodahs.
Next comes the triple garage/workshop for a certain laminating/fabricating bloke and myself to nail a few cars together in.

Would I do it again?
Yep,can't wait.

Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

Triton

posted on 9/1/06 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Nail!!!! gripfill is quieter

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Triton

posted on 9/1/06 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to say, the mobile home is huge and set in a cracking position nice and peacefull.....for the time being

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

andygtt

posted on 9/1/06 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't truelly self build, however I did extend my little 2 bed cottage 110% in two levels (into a 5 bed cottage) and also built a double double garage that was bigger than a friends 2bed bugalow

The advice I'd impart is don't try to move in too early.... I had to live in mine while I built the extension.. thats 2 adults 3kids and 2 dogs and the wife was expecting!

This casued huge delays in some elements that had knock on effects to others, especially the relocation of the toilet that was a logistical nightmare.

Also the only job I wouldn't recomend doing is the brickwork as I've done this before (pretty much did everything else myself).

On the plus side the quotes I got from contractors were 3 times what it eventually cost me.

[Edited on 9/1/06 by andygtt]

Andy

please redefine your limits.

akumabito

posted on 10/1/06 at 01:51 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses.htm

tiny. cheap. cute!

(though they are US based...)

[Edited on 10/1/06 by akumabito]

Browser

posted on 10/1/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Don't forget to keep a map of your proposed house site and put up a signpost as early as possible.

Otherwise you might lose the plot!

I'll get me coat!

Peteff

posted on 10/1/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Get the plot surveyed first.

See how big you can build on it and the best orientation for the size and shape of the plot. Services to the plot if they don't already exist how far do they need to be extended and what will you be digging through to get them there?. This is assuming the plot already has planning permission did you apply for permission for a particular size and type of building or just outline planning?. Get your plans drawn up and submitted and don't leave it too long or you'll have to reapply and pay again. I don't think it's a cheap way to get a house but you do get what you wanted. A friend of mine did it and ended up with a nice block and brick house but it cost him almost twice his original budget. Builders are notoriously unreliable, it took me 2 years to get a new roof and that was a cash job. They always set on more than they can handle and if they are not busy there's usually a reason for that. Whoever said sticking bricks together is easy earlier on didn't do the mixing and carrying If you have a build plan try to stick to it but don't get disheartened if it falls behind and don't get carried away.

[Edited on 10/1/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

David Jenkins

posted on 10/1/06 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I'll endorse the risk to health/sanity/marriage. My boss decided to build his own house 10 years or so back. He thought he could project manage it himself, as he was a software project manager (!). Unfortunately he didn't understand the 'who does what' in the building industry and had several unnecessary arguments with tradesmen during the build.

He nearly had a nervous breakdown by the end... and when finally counting the extra time and work needed to finish, he could have paid a professional project manager or architect to run the job.

David

Mix

posted on 10/1/06 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've project managed the build of two houses, the first a kit the second a traditional build. I enjoyed the experience but cannot stress strongly enough to select your tradesmen with great care. If you get a good bunch of contractors the job is a real pleasure.
Also weigh up the pros and cons of traditional verses kit building, I was surprised to find that the traditional came in 15% cheaper.

Mick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.