Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Update!
MattWatson

posted on 25/2/03 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
Update!

I finally got the pictures up. It will now be very shortly before I start to rebuild the engine. Once that starts, the project will fly.

Now, what to put it in?

I *may* be looking into an AWD Golf/Rabbit to drop it into

But if someone wants to suply me with a cool kit, that would work too.

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MattWatson

posted on 25/2/03 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Well, the project just hit an abrupt halt.

My block is CRACKED. And I use capitals for a reason. 3 head bolt holes have a 1/4mm crack in the middle of them. they are about 2cm long (including the hole) So I have no idea what this guy did to the engine but it has gone. Mabe its time to go back to the flatheads... *sigh*

I may try to get another block, but they are fairly expensive, and I don't want to add a whole bunch to an engine I got for free. (Which if I get a new block will be just accessories, not an actual engine)

Matt Watson

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 1/3/03 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well THAT sucks! Maybe you could try the local insurance auction for a battered VW. I bet you can get one for under $100 and you can pull the block and re-sell the parts that are still good on ebay to actually make a buck.

Trying to think helpfully,

Steve G.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Alan B

posted on 2/3/03 at 02:44 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, Steve is right....it sucks, but you'll be OK in the end......it's a pain but you will look back and maybe smile about it.

Better luck in the future

MattWatson

posted on 2/3/03 at 03:36 AM Reply With Quote
"Better luck in the future"

Well this kinda thing seems to be in the cards for me and my father. When we were doing the flatheads, we had on block 80thousandths over and one that was a boat anchor.

I don't know if It will continue as I can't really afford anything at this point (I got the engine for free and I still need to by all the gaskets, bearings, etc. ) as I have school to pay for. I may be better off picking up a golf for 500 bucks and using that engine for the project, then I will have a car as well.

There was one person who responded from a local VW club that had a long block 1.6L but hasn't responded about price yet.

I HAVE been offered a 1946 Nash project with 350 engine / transmission to convertablize though. At this point I have no idea what I am going to end up doing.

Matt Watson

Alan B

posted on 2/3/03 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Matt, look at it another way...it could be 2 years before your engine needs to run (voice of experience)....why not carry on building and wait for another to turn up?...if it is common enough then I would carry on and wait for one to appear, just using the one you have as a dummy engine to design around...my engine has 160K miles on it and will almost certainly need some work, but the main thing is I at least have to work around (engine mounts, headers, coolant pipes...there is loads you can do with a bad engine)

Worth a though?

MattWatson

posted on 2/3/03 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
Matt, look at it another way...it could be 2 years before your engine needs to run (voice of experience)....why not carry on building and wait for another to turn up?...if it is common enough then I would carry on and wait for one to appear, just using the one you have as a dummy engine to design around...my engine has 160K miles on it and will almost certainly need some work, but the main thing is I at least have to work around (engine mounts, headers, coolant pipes...there is loads you can do with a bad engine)

Worth a though?

Humm that is something to think about. I think as well as doing this Nash, I will get started on the bodywork and possibly frame, and see If I can get anything that would even be worth putting an engine in.

I don't know if I have your talent Alan

Matt Watson

Alan B

posted on 2/3/03 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MattWatson

I don't know if I have your talent Alan

Not sure I have either...
More a case of being too dumb to know what can't be done....

But, yeah, there is LOADS to do before you need to think about firing up the engine...just having it is the main thing for now......

MattWatson

posted on 2/3/03 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the reason I was doing the engine first was because I have access to a shop untill June, and then I don't anymore. So I would have liked to get the engine done when I had access to all their tools.

thems them breaks.

Matt Watson

MattWatson

posted on 15/3/03 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
Good news. Someon on one of the VW boards I frequent has a 1.8L engine (unassembled block, head ect) and will give it to me. Which suits me fine. Now my base HP figure is around 110HP instead of a paultry 75.

So I should be back up and running in a couple of weeks.

Then the desicion; Do I continue with the bodywork I am *trying* to attempt, or go for a mid engined locost using a nosecone ect, from a normal build? Has anyone seen this done? Any pictures?

I think that would be my best bet, or mabye just do a front engined example.

Alan, I am liking yours more and more, but I don't think that you will be in production soon?

Matt Watson

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.