Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra?
Will_82

posted on 16/1/06 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

When i search for past posts about sierra as a donor. there seems to be quite a variety of them.

So im keeping a look out for a sierra to use, which is the best to get. Estate? gear ratio's? DOHC? whatever it is. how do i know all this by looking??

Also if i get a sierra and the prefab mods availiable to buy. is there any other major parts you need from any other car's??

Thanks for any help Will

andyps

posted on 16/1/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Which one to go for depends upon what you want - like anything. I don't think body style matters too much, and if you plan to build a car engined car then the gear ratios will be OK - it is only for bike engines that different diff ratios may be better.

As for engines, again, what do you want? Some people advise against the DOHC as it is big and heavy and not very tunable, but with up to 125hp as standard it can work out cheaper than the preffered pinto - that is my view anyway, so I'm using one.

How do you tell? The DOHC engine is much wider at the top than the Pinto - more like the more modern engine that it is.

Other components - depends how you plan to build, with lots of the kits you can use most things from the Sierra and not need maor components from anywhere else. For a home build - it is up to you!

Good luck, and have fun.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

mookaloid

posted on 16/1/06 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
There probably is no one best model sierra for a donor, although the best sierra engine is probably the pinto. The DOHC is not well liked (too tall/unreliable) the V6 is too heavy and not great power for it's weightalthough the CVH is not too bad if you don't want to tune it.

The pick of the gear boxes is possibly the close ratio one from a V6 XR4i 2wd although the MT75 is stronger it is bigger.

the best diff is from a 4x4 with LSD (choice of ratios - 3.92 would be my pick.

So take your pick but bear in mind you will need 2wd front uprights and a non pas rack

Cheers

Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.