Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel sizes
StuartA

posted on 26/2/03 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Wheel sizes

I'm sure someone has asked this question before but what sort of size wheels are best for a Locost. We are thinking 15" by 7" for the back but are thinking this will be too wide for the front. Ideally I think we want 5.5 or 6" for the front, but these are pretty difficult to get hold of unless you go to somewhere like Superlite and pay megabucks.

Oz do some very lightweight alloys that start at 7", but that would mean at least 195 and preferably 205 tyres (making the steering very heavy?).

Any opinions, or alternative wheel sources welcomed.... we are looking for very lightweight wheels, so your Halford alloys just won't cut it

[Edited on 26/2/03 by StuartA]

Stu16v

posted on 26/2/03 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC you are building a BEC right?
Why 15's? 13inch wheels are going to be lighter still, and the tyres are cheaper. Not only are they lighter, but there is less rotational mass, so the car will accelerate and stop quicker. And there will be less gyroscopic effect too, so thr car will change direction more readily. IMHO of course....

Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Jon Ison

posted on 26/2/03 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
but..........15" wheels get the gearing bout rite on a blade engined BEC whithout messing with diff's, in my case anyhow........

got 195 tyres on front, steering aint heavy

andyd

posted on 26/2/03 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah but 15" would look better

But then I would say that 'cause it's half my car that he's building

We just want to know if 7" wide rims with say 205/50 tyres on would adversely affect "normal" (whatever that is) handling.

And I don't think that the difference between a 13" wheel at say 5kg and a 15" at 7kg will matter a great deal unless we are a) trying to get away from Mr Plod or b) trying to keep up with Mr Ison on a track

I know Stuart will agree when I say that if I lost a few kilos then it'd out weigh the need for lighter wheel

Andy

andyd

posted on 26/2/03 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
got 195 tyres on front, steering aint heavy

Jon, I can't remember if I've alreay asked this but how wide are your wheels? A tyre fitter friend has told us that on 7" rims a 195 would be the smallest we could go and that that may not be a good idea.

Andy

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/2/03 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I thought that as long as the rim width was not less that 85% of the tyre width you were OK
Anyone got any thoughts................

Jon Ison

posted on 26/2/03 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
not sure of width, they are Focus rims, 195/50 on front, 205/50 rsend, it does handle fine n steering feels good too,

Stu16v

posted on 26/2/03 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, 15's it is. Just highlighting the benefits of lighter/cheaper/more effective wheels.....
*mutter* but its your car....

Cheers, Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

andyd

posted on 26/2/03 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stu16v
Ok, 15's it is. Just highlighting the benefits of lighter/cheaper/more effective wheels.....
*mutter* but its your car....

Cheers, Stu.

Thanks Stu for the concern of my wallet status

Andy

Viper

posted on 26/2/03 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I just bought my wheels, 7x17 running 205 40 17 (pic in photos) look the mutts nuts in my opinion but then i am biased...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 27/2/03 at 04:44 AM Reply With Quote
Mark Allanson:
quote:

I thought that as long as the rim width was not less that 85% of the tyre width you were OK

Not sure M8, I think it varies from tyre to tyre. It's an interesting hypothesis though. If it could be proven true, I'd certainly log it away in my dark and dim recesses!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fast Westie

posted on 27/2/03 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Go for 6x13 wheels with decent 185/60x13 tyres unless you have mega power then go for 205s on the rear

The car in front is a Westfield

andyd

posted on 28/2/03 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Well we've paid our money and taken our choice.

Compomotive motorsport MO
6x15 for the front
7x15 for the rear

We'll be bootin' them with 185/55 on the fronts and 205/50 on the rears.

But they'll take 2 weeks to get here

Never mind that'll mean we've plenty of time to make the car work

Andy

Mark Allanson

posted on 28/2/03 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Rorty
I read it in a book by LJK Setright, it was 350 pages long and discussed nothing but tyres, the only bits I remember was the tyre to rim ratio and that Fiat Pandas handle better on 155 70 13's than 135 13's. I had to read it for my city and guilds (that ages me a bit!). I passed with distinctions, but forgot all the (then) irrelevant bits within 15 minutes!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.