Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC clutch slip with Barnett spring conversion
smart51

posted on 19/1/06 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
BEC clutch slip with Barnett spring conversion

I'm getting a bit of clutch slip at full throttle. I have a barnett pressure plate which has 6 coil springs that fit on the 6 bolts that hold it all together.

I have drained the excess engine oil which has improved the clutch slip a bit. I was wondering if I put a washer between each bolt and spring, might this reduce the slip further by adding a bit more pressure to the plates when engaged?

Or is this a bad idea?

froggy

posted on 19/1/06 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
dont laugh but years ago when i used to run 350 lc,s i used to scuff the friction plates up on tuned engines and it worked for me. has anyone tried to add an extra plate with shorter springs?
stevebubs

posted on 19/1/06 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
I may be wrong, but I vaguely remember a discussion on the BEC list where the standard Yamaha plates were used with the Barnett springs....
smart51

posted on 19/1/06 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have fitted EBC standard clutch plates. They were new nearly 500 fairly gentle miles ago.

It behaves well at modest throttle inputs but where's the fun in that. I need to sort this before I can have the engine dynojetted, I guess.

Hellfire

posted on 19/1/06 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ditch the EBC clutch plates and go for either Yamaha or if you can afford them, Barnett clutch plates.

smart51

posted on 19/1/06 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Ditch the EBC clutch plates and go for either Yamaha or if you can afford them, Barnett clutch plates.

really? Are EBC that bad?

smart51

posted on 19/1/06 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
OK so no-one screamed "don't do it" so I did it. one 2.5mm thick 12mm washer between each spring and the top hat bolt holder thing. Bob is very much my uncle with not a whisper of clutch slip.

Just got to sort out the carb fuelling at full throttle and the job is prety much done.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 19/1/06 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
DONT!

No not really , although you you need to make sure the washers are thin enough that the springs dont go coilbound before the clutch fully disengages, otherwise the clutch will drag, especially when its hot.

smart51

posted on 20/1/06 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
DONT!

No not really

carnut

posted on 20/1/06 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I did a similar mod to this, I put a waster under the bolt head on 3 of the 6 springs to add a bit more pre-load. I made sure they wouldnt go coil bound first. For the other 3 springs I got some massey ferguson clutch springs of a similar size, squashed them in a vice and measured. Finding they would go coil bound I cut them down a little. I have approxiately doubled the clamp load on the plates. I also now have a clutch pedal with a decent amount of resistance which has dropped my reaction times by 0.2 secs on average.

BTW I did this over night between the two days ofa race meeting.

Barnett springs are a waste of money, they dont add much extra clamp force on the plates.

Carnut

G.Man

posted on 20/1/06 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
my brother told me not to use EBC plates in a high stress environment after having 2 r1 sets explode on the start line..

He is using stock plates in a 200bhp race bike...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

simon hewitt

posted on 20/1/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Slipping Clutch

Check that the grooves in the clutch baskets have not worn so that they
have "steps" or indentations in them from the tangs around the circumference of the clutch plates.
If the plates are not free to move in these grooves, then you are overcoming the true cause of the problem by fitting stronger springs/washers etc

Daft Lad Picko

posted on 21/1/06 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
My mates race FZR 400 3TJ's (70 bhp ish) and used EBC friction plates, which lasted one start then fried. I had a Suzuki TL1000S (fookin' beast) and suffered clutch slip with the standard suzuki items in. Once I had changed the springs, friction plates and drive plates for Barnett ones, she'd lift the front wheel in forth on the throttle! Nuff said, get Barnett ones, that's my plan later in the year when I get the engine in.

Hope this is useful info.

Cheers

Cheers

Neil

There are two prices....the real one and the one you tell the wife!

tks

posted on 22/1/06 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
sow it will depend on make / model

what the results are..??

but EBC is an NONO..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.