Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: chrome
Craig81

posted on 22/1/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
chrome

Hi all,

can anybody give me an idea as to how much it cost to get my wish bones chrome plated.

cheers

craig

k33ts

posted on 22/1/06 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
last chroming i had done was on a kx250 supermoto complete exhaust £35
if that gives you some idea of cost

britishtrident

posted on 22/1/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Chrome costs are about to go through the roof new EU environmental protection laws will close a lot of small outfits.

istr advice from MSA sources is against chrome plating suspension parts anyway -- because it hides cracks.
Nickle plating or cadmium dip is OK.

[Edited on 22/1/06 by britishtrident]

02GF74

posted on 22/1/06 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the chroming process, involving dipping in acid, would weaken the metal so not a good idea I would have thought?
Johnmor

posted on 22/1/06 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Chrome

If you are going to get things chrome plated make sure that any cleaning agent can flow out freely from the object , as was mentioned, acid is used and if it remains in the wishbone after cleaning then it will corrode from the inside out.
Happened to a friend of mine ,had a lovely Norton frame that you could crush with your fingers about four months after it had been chromed.
Acid got trapped in the frame.

MikeRJ

posted on 22/1/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
One potential problem with chrome plating plating is hydrogen embrittlement, which is the last thing you want on a heavily loaded bottom wishbone. This isn't a problem if the people doing the chroming apply the correct heat treatment after the chroming process.
pifular

posted on 22/1/06 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
cost me £20 to get my mk bones powder coating cleaned off and then £60 to get them chromed and polished at aback street place in manchester. was very good and can reccommend.

prices are for the pair btw.

most difficult part was finding a bolt with the right thread to fit into end of top wishbone to protect internal threads.

they do also have small holes in them now to drain all fluids used out as mentioned earlier in another post.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.