Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hard top idea
C10CoryM

posted on 23/1/06 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hard top idea

Wondering if anyone has tried a hardtop that comes apart to store in the boot?

Here is a doodle of what I have in mind.

Basically 3 peices of overlapped aluminum with rubber/foam seals in between. The yellow bits are roughly where I would put clasps on the inside to pull the aluminum down against the bars. I'd like to seal it pretty good. Where I see a problem is in the corners of the doors (circled in green) and I dont know if the peices would be too long to fit into the boot. The red line from windscreen to rollbar would have to be less than the width of the boot. Im planning a +4 so I have some extra width that may help. For me to build the car I will have to be able to drive it in the rain. Vancouver BC is an ex-rainforest so it sure can rain here .

Any comments, ideas, or measurements of the red line would be appretiated.
Cheers.

[edit] Was thinking a solid plexi-glass or lexan peice that seals against the rollbar hoop and boot for the rear.

[Edited on 23/1/06 by C10CoryM]

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rubix

posted on 23/1/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hard Top, thats just crazy talk......or is it ?

Like the idea, and thought about it myself but always fell down on the storage problem. I think its worth some further thinking on though as it would be cool. Let u know if I dream up anything.

Never mind that s**t, here comes MONGO

Deckman001

posted on 23/1/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
If the center section overlapped the outer sections (underneath) it would negate the need for support rods near the outer edges ?? Wouldn't help with storing it, but hey, can't have everything !!

Jason

Messenjah

posted on 23/1/06 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
if you made the curve at the top corner of the screen and the rollbar the same as that of the bonet you could store the curver peives downthe inside of the bonet and the flat bit for the middle in passenger footwell
RazMan

posted on 23/1/06 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
How about storing it behind the seats if you can make room?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 23/1/06 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
V. Nice idea, although

it'd only work if your heads far enough below the roll bar, some peoples aren't

DorsetStrider

posted on 23/1/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Strangely I've been having very similar thoughts. I was thinking about two ips on the front edge of the hard top that fit arond a lenght of 25mmX25mm RHS welded to the front window top bar. thus creating a tongue and grove arrangement and neagting the need for lots of catches to hold it in place.

Obviously this idea needs further work but what idea doesn't?

C10CoryM

posted on 24/1/06 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
Good points from all. Thanks.
Yes I was thinking overlapping the sides over the middle peice with foam to insulate. That should seal well enough. The outside edges would need a rolled lip or some rouond stock welded to it for safety reasons so they should be stiff enough. Dont want to lose a hand in a crash from the thin edge.
I like the under bonnet idea but my planned engine may be too tall to allow it. Maybe if they were tied vertically to the inside of chassis on the non-exhaust side. Something to consider. Im not sure if the curved ones would store well behind the seats. The flat panels would fit well there though.
For the head room..... Im not going to know that until I build it. Im 6ft tall so it would be a tight fit no matter what. No helmet room for sure. I like to sit low though so I think I should be ok. I know from other cars that I need about 37" from floor to roof to fit.
I thought of using a hook and bar on the front. Hook goes into bar on windscreen vertically, then as you lower the back it locks in but the corner edges would hit on the glass. I may use that idea for the center part anyhow.
I think its viable, and its really not hard to do. Just simple single curves. If I can make the bonnet, I can make that.
Also I think making the fronts curve over the windscreen frame a little will help a lot to keep water out while driving in the rain.
I would still like a measurement from the windscreen to the rollbar if someone has that though.
Thanks again guys.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

Messenjah

posted on 24/1/06 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
measurement from windscreen to rollbar will change with every car i think because it will depend on angle of screen height of screen height of rollbar etc
Peteff

posted on 24/1/06 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
If you make it in segments it will be like a venetian blind. If you put foam between the centre and outer pieces water will get in if it rains, some kind of rubber piping on the edge of the lower section would be better.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.