Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: techno weld
diyer

posted on 23/1/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
techno weld

www.techno-weld.co.uk

Has anyone got any good/bad experiences of this stuff??

I am looking at inlet manifold construction

Cheers

RazMan

posted on 23/1/06 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Looks to be a good alternative to welding. In theory that should make intake manifold which are less likely to warp. The rods are a bit pricey but you never know, it might just work.
I'd love to try it myself

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ian Pearson

posted on 23/1/06 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
I attempted to make a lightweight battery cradle for my Streak Shadow.using technoweld I gave up, and gave my effort to a fabricator to use as a pattern. He was impressed by the strength of the welds.
GT2000

posted on 23/1/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
It works quite well. I have used it to fabricate a few bits and, once you get the hang of it it is quite easy. Think of it like soldering - you need to put enough heat into the workpiece so that the filler rod will flow nicely. You can encourage it to go where you want it with the stainless steel rod provided. Don't forget that ali has a high heat capacity so it will seem to take ages to get the thing up to temperature, but once there, no problem!

I believe that some inlet stubs are "welded" to their plenum chambers using similar techniques, but I would be very careful to minimise the strain on any joints you make.

Graham T

steve_gus

posted on 23/1/06 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have used it a couple years ago.

My car is a deviant 'locost morgan' and I had one or two short overlaps on folds at the rear of the car that I needed to join together, basically short welds of approx 1 inch long each.

It works, but its a bit fiddly. Essentially, it goes on a bit like coreless solder. You heat up the work, and when at temperature, you poke the technoweld stick at it. It doesnt flow or stick that well at first - but you aid it with a 'prodding stick' that comes with the kit! Essentially, you move the pool around and heat it until it eventually takes on the metal.

Seems to create a nice result, but you do have to 'work the pool' or it just falls of in a blob. Its worth buying a starter kit and trying it out.

atb

steve

[Edited on 23/1/06 by steve_gus]

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 23/1/06 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Would a good weld be achievable with a disposable Propane canister type torch ?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

steve_gus

posted on 23/1/06 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
thats what I used........ and it was the corner of a 4 ft sqaureish sheet of alu - thats a pretty big heat sink! Beware that too much heat might melt the alu, and the metal around the weld will soften. Not perhaps a problem if its a manifold, but if its 1mm sheet for example, it loses some of its rigidity.

One way to make alu easier to work is to heat it up. it stays soft for months afterwards.

atb

steve

[Edited on 23/1/06 by steve_gus]

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

mookaloid

posted on 23/1/06 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
I repaired my fuel tankl with it after I drilled my sender hole in the wrong place

It worked ok but not as neat as TIG by a long way

02GF74

posted on 24/1/06 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
there was a dutch geezer at one of the LR showing demonstrating this stuff. Like has been said, if you are skilled it is a piece of cake. Aluminium is a very good conductor of heat so you need a big torch on sizeble objects and doesn't change colour before it melts so you need to be careful. The stainless steel rod pokes away the oxide - you could use a stainless steel brush too.

I have used it twice. First was to repair taolgate on land rover - this didn't work as when the metal cooled, is was under tension so the "weld" broke".
Secondly was on a thermostat housing to tidy uo the edge, that went ok.

there is lumiweld too - google for both; same stuff but one is a bit cheaper

NS Dev

posted on 24/1/06 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have used it quite a bit.

I would summarise by saying it is great for building stuff like castings up and filling threads in ally for redrilling, but not so good for actually doing welds. For these it's much easier to get somebody with a tig to do the job.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

v8kid

posted on 8/2/06 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
I used it to shorten a gearchange extension housing. V strong but fiddly to use - I used a large blowtorch to get enough heat in. Only drawback is it looks shit.

Housing been in use for a year now and still aint broke

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.