Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Computer network
chrisg

posted on 25/1/06 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Computer network

Hey up

What do I need to buy to connect my downstairs computer to my upstairs computer and share my broadband connection?

Cheers

Chris

flak monkey

posted on 25/1/06 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
A crossover network cable, an hour, and loads of paticience!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

jestre

posted on 25/1/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
2 wireless PCI cards, and 1 cable/dsl wireless router and 30minutes.

-=too much horsepower is just enough=-

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 25/1/06 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Two more replies and we'll have it down under a minute.

You seriously overesimate my computer knowledge!

one of my computers is new and flashy, how do I check if I've got a wireless pci card in it?

Cheers

chris

mookaloid

posted on 25/1/06 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
post a picture of the back of your computer and we can tell you
Mark Allanson

posted on 25/1/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Small aerial is always a giveaway

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

gingerprince

posted on 25/1/06 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Answer kinda depends. There's 2 basic options: -

1) Have the upstairs computer connect to the internet via the downstairs computer (which must be on) using Internet Connection Sharing (don't recommend this). In this situation all you need is a crossover cable or pair of wireless network cards to connect the PCs to each other. Cheap, but needs downstairs PC always on.

2) The "proper" way. At the moment your downstairs PC will be connected to an ADSL (or cable?) modem as your internet connection. You will need an "ADSL router" which is basically an ADSL modem with connections for a few PCs. You can then use RJ45 (network wire) to connect each PC to this, or if you use a wireles ADSL router you can have wireless on your PCs.

If you don't know you have wireless, the chances are you don't have it - PCs generally don't come with it as standard you have to buy the cards.

If you ever plan to have the PCs copy large files to/from each other, then I would recommend using wires instead of wireless. Whilst wireless is tidy and convenient it can be slow for copying large (eg video files etc) from one PC to another if you do it regularly.

I trust that's suitably too much information

DaveFJ

posted on 26/1/06 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
If at all possible I would recommend running a network cable to each PC from an ADSL router. Wireless is a complete pain in the arse and causes more problems than it solves. Personally my wireless connection is always 'droping out' - I think because so many of my neighbours have wireless routers that the interference is a nightmare. (I can pick up 6 wireless networks from my living room!)

BTW if you do go wireless then implement WPA authentication (WEP can be hacked in seconds). 4 of the 6 networks I can 'see' are completely unprotected!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Howlor

posted on 26/1/06 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I have a DLink ADSL router connected to my broadband then directly linked via ethernet to my main PC. I then have a wireless laptop and a works laptop linked into it (this uses my home connection with VPN). I want to try and install WPA but i am struggling. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve

DaveFJ

posted on 26/1/06 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
WPA should just be an option in your router configuration (as long as it supports it - most decent ones do..)

As for the PC end - what OS are you running? ideal would be Windows XP SP2, in which case you just need to set it up in the properties of the connection.

There are loads of websites offering information on how to set all this up - a quick google returns some pretty good references on how to set it all up.

HTH

[Edited on 26/1/06 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.