Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving from MOT
vintagebuilder

posted on 4/2/06 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Driving from MOT

Afternoon,

At the moment my Indy is at a local garage having tracking and headlights set up. It will then have an MOT test prior to SVA. I had the car transported to the garage.
I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find the thread. I have the car insured am I allowed to drive the car home or do I have to have it transported home.

Regards

David

DIY Si

posted on 4/2/06 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
You can drive to the necessary tests in the car. These are the MOT, SVA and the DVLA inspection. All you need is insurance, since you can't tax a car without having done all off the above. PC Plod might try to agrue, but he'll be wrong; since you have to have an MOT to tax just about anything. Oh, and since you might not have number plates yet, wear a plain whit helmet and drive like a proper loon. They won't be able to prove it was you!
Hellfire

posted on 4/2/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
We've taxed the Indy without an MOT as have lots of others.

David, have a word with the garage and see if they'll do you an unofficial MOT. Once your vehicle is on the system, they'll require you to pass an MOT every year, even though you don't need one for the first three.

Phil

jos

posted on 4/2/06 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Si - I think you are partly wrong in what you have said.

I agree that you can drive to SVA (as long as you have an appointment) and MOT (again as long as you have an appointment) but I dont think you can legally drive to DVLA inspection as you are not road registered, and your insurnace only covers you for driving directly to and from your SVA and or MOT appointment.

This makes it very difficult to legally get your vehicle inspected by the DVLA as they like you to take your vehicle to them for inspection.

In response to your question yes you can drive it home (as long as you have insurance - which you do) and you couldve driven it there also

[Edited on 4/2/06 by jos]

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

vintagebuilder

posted on 4/2/06 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Phil,
If I don't get an MOT certificate then presumably I have to transport the car home since I would not be able to state to the " polis" that I was driving the car home from a pre-arranged MOT appointment.

Regards

David

Hellfire

posted on 4/2/06 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just get a receipt from the garage to prove you've been. If you don't have a receipt, just tell the police to check with the garage to confirm your story. Even if it fails, you can still drive it back home.

vintagebuilder

posted on 4/2/06 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Phil,

Thanks for that.

David

DIY Si

posted on 4/2/06 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry about the MOT bit. Forgot that the SVA meant you didn't need one for 3 years.
Although i have read elsewhere on here that you can drive to the DVLA inspection. Anyone know for definite or is it just an insurance issue?

andyharding

posted on 4/2/06 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
No MOT needed. Not a required test and so is not legal to drive it there or back.

If you failed an SVA you can drive it to/from a garage who is doing work i.e. MOT station setting the headlamp aims (waste of time fyi MOT machines are shit).

Technically you cannot drive to DVLA but everyone who has been busted has won an appeal.

[Edited on 4/2/06 by andyharding]

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Chippy

posted on 4/2/06 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
The word according to DVLA.

This is part of an email from DVLA.
"Referring to page 10 of the V100, you are correct in assuming that the vehicle described in your email comes under this exemption. Provided you have a pre-arranged appointment for inspection at the local office. You are able to drive the vehicle to the test centre". This allows you to drive to MOT, SVA, and DVLA inspections. There is a thread showing this, but I couldn't locate it.

wicket

posted on 4/2/06 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Here it is Chippy

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=31588

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.