Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: alternative clutch on bec?
EddThompson

posted on 4/2/06 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
alternative clutch on bec?

Hi sorry if this is in wrong place or been asked before, but i tried the search to no avail.

I have a bad back, a smashed disc to be precise, now im ok driving, except i cant use the clutch pedal very long, puts to much strain on my back lifting my leg. I now drive autos

Now with a bec, my fatehr in law reckons (long time biker) for 90% of up and down shifts you dont need to use the clutch, put a bit of pressure on the change, and blip the throttle, ideal, but is it true of bec sevens.

I was also thinking, since the clutch on a bike is done with a lever, could you put the lever on the gear stick, and use your hand to open the clutch? not great control, but would it be

a: possible
b: road legal
c: advisable

thanks alot

edd

[Edited on 4/2/06 by EddThompson]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 4/2/06 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.farend.co.uk/indyblade.aspx

Speak to this lad. He has the answers to your questions

[Edited on 4-2-06 by mangogrooveworkshop]

mark chandler

posted on 4/2/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
When riding my bike (Fireblade) I knock it up a gear without the clutch and use the clutch coming down. You can also purchase full power shift kits, these basically kill the engine when pressure is felt on the gearchange so you can keep the throttle full on when shifting (I guess if the gear fails to mesh bang goes the engine). Either way yes you can but I would look to soften the drive with a rubber cushion in the propshaft to soften things.

On a BEC the clutch will be ultra light (its designed for hand pressure not the leverage a foot clutch gets so this may not be an issue for you.

Have you thought about an auto Locost ? I used to race a 4.6 auto landrover, this was much faster than the manual cars using the rangerover ZF auto box.

This box is common to lots of BMW's, get a 3.9 RR as a donor, and fit the tail shaft from a BMW will give you an awesomely fast auto car. You would not be able to change manually so fast and get 4 forward gears. You could also move the engine back a bit extra as no need for the third pedal.

Regards Mark

Guinness

posted on 4/2/06 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I think that's a good idea. My BEC has a hydraulic clutch (ZZR1100) and uses the original lever and reservior (although they are under the bonnet and connected to the normal pedal by a cable).

SVA bloke didn't even comment on the arrangement, and after his test drive around the centre to test the self centring, he even commented on the nice action, something along the lines of "its not like most of these (BEC's) with their on / off action"

Only one word of caution though, get a reverse box as I have to push mine into the yard and occassionally when parking.

Mike

EddThompson

posted on 4/2/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
if i can engage the clutch with foot action rather than moving my whole leg, i could probably manage.

an auto car doesnt take my fancy, have to live with them all the time plus if i build, i want a bec.

the power kilk shifter seems an idea. will look into, though seems expensive.

I still like my idea of the handle on the gear lever, ill look into this further

edd

[Edited on 4/2/06 by EddThompson]

kipper

posted on 4/2/06 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
clutch

Many years ago a friend of mine used to work for a firm that serviced the old invacars three wheeled death traps.
He converted the villiers motorcycle clutch to work via a hydrualic slave unit and a servo, this gave a very light peddle action for the driver who had suffered damage to his legs . I guess it would be possible to get an engine that uses a hydraulic clutch and rig up a servo.
Just a thought, the brains on this forum will soon tell us
Regards Kipper.

cornishrob

posted on 5/2/06 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I have only riden one bike and that wasn't for very long and not very recently

but i seem to remember that the clutch was hand cable operated, the gears were sequential as you had to go up through the box,

to this end i cant see why you cant fit the clutch control mechanism to the gear stick as the gear stick is only moved in 2 directions.

would require some design and fabrication but would work.

posted on 5/2/06 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
A mate of my sons, "One Leg Pete", has this arrangement on the gear stick of a 2CV.

Works well.

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.