Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type ZR Weight
jos

posted on 10/2/06 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Type ZR Weight

Well Ive just got back from a blat and on the return journey dropped in on a weighbridge I know of.

The result - a svelt 540kg

I think I'm going to get that double checked at a different weigh bridge as it seems a bit light for a pinto powered ZR.

But until then YIPPPEEEE. I was expecting it to start with a 6.

Surely it cant be 60 kg out 10%?????

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

daz_derby

posted on 10/2/06 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
isnt it illegal if the scales arent correct? trading standards and all that mallarky
mookaloid

posted on 10/2/06 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Not too suprising - with half a tank of fuel, my MK which I would imagine is similar to yours was 625kg but that was with a screen and more in the way of roll over protection and I have upholstered seats too.

If your tank was empty that would also help.

Cheers

Mark

jos

posted on 10/2/06 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
It wasnt empty but it wasnt full too. I reckon there was at least 10 lites in there, possibly more.

mookaloid

posted on 10/2/06 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Also weigh bridge accuracy - can be +/- 50 kg. remember they are for weighing lorries which weigh 38 tonnes or so which is 0.1% error at 38 tonnes.

Its like if you want to weigh out 1/2 lb flour for making pancakes, you wont get it very accurate on bathroom scales cos they are meant for weighing 15 stones or so.

Cheers

Mark

zxrlocost

posted on 10/2/06 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
bloody hell lads your making him depressed

he thought he was onto a good weight for a minute then

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

jos

posted on 10/2/06 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Sob sob.

I can see this is going to turn into one of those similar to rolling road BHP claims.

"Mine was done on X's rolling road in boiling hot summer and my engine was runnin rich an I still got a squillion brake from my festa"

mookaloid

posted on 10/2/06 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon that 540 is a bit light but I would still be confident that it will be under 600 Kg
DarrenW

posted on 10/2/06 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Was it a weighbridge that VOSA use to pull wagons off the motorways for spot checks? Does anyone know if these are ever used to weigh caravans and small trailers to see if they are overweight or if the car is big enough to tow them. If so that would suggest they are also accurate down to 2 or 3 tonnes. I guess the other nice thing to know is how they are calibrated - ie right through the range in increments or only at a specific point?

I wonder if a local coal yard with scales might be more accurate. The wagons weigh a lot but they need to be accurate so they can charge correct amount for goods. they may be accurate in the middle of their range tho rather than at the lower end. A similar analgy is when using micrometers - in that you have to calibrate them close to the measured size to get the accurate result. Next time find a freindly low loader driver so you can stick car on the back............. perhaps not.

I really hope it was somewhere near seeing as mine is almost identical build.

At SVA mine was weighed front and rear seperately at around 650Kg. I asked the tester about accuracy for overall weight and he said they used to have 4 wheel scales which gave similar result - although i bet in reality they were 2 seperate sets in one unit to measure the axles seperately. There must be a recognised accurate way to check car weight.

Peteff

posted on 10/2/06 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Also weigh bridge accuracy - can be +/- 50 kg.

Not if C&E check it they can't, they would close it down and fine the operator. The one at the steel plant I worked at was never more than 20kg out. The overseas drivers used to unload their contraband before they weighed in so as not to throw their tare out.

[Edited on 10/2/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jos

posted on 11/2/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, if it was accurate to 20kg then I'd be max weight of 560kg and min of 520. If it was accurate to 50kg I'd still be under 600kg

jos

posted on 23/2/06 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
I fiddled with the level sender last night to get it to properly read full and empty. I measured the tank and put a dip tube in to see how much fuel was actually in there and by my calcs there was 14 litres

According to a google result 1 litre of petrol weighs 750g or .75 kg which means that I had 10.5kilos of fuel in when I went to get weighed.

My fuel gauge was severly underreading and when it said nearly empty was actually nearly half full.

jos

posted on 10/3/06 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Well Ive had her weighed again. This time it was on my local British Sugar's weigh bridge that is calibrated to +/- 20kg.

With half a little over half a tank of fuel she weighed 580kg. After the last time I decided to see how much extra I added on to see how big the change of weight was compared to what I actually weigh. I weighed myself as soon as I got in and I weighed 97kg. The weighbridge said me & the car weighed 680kg which means that it is well within the +/- 20kg tolerance and is overreading slightly.

Chuffed - too right. Pinto powered Type ZR with half a tank of fuel (15 litres min = 11.25kg extra weight) = 580kg. Whoopie

DarrenW

posted on 14/3/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds good Jos. I know my car is very similar spec with no trim, screen and bare shell seats so full of fuel will be close enough to 600Kg. Im quite happy with that.

LMAO at the comment you or the factory made regarding my daily driver on M1MOC Very true!!!

I had a nightmare the other day. Lost my clutch! Lock nut came off the pedal and the clutch cable loop dropped off. Easy fix, longer bolt, new nyloc and a plain nut locked on for good measure. Id recommend you taking a look to check yours. Its a pain to fix roadside. I tried to claim under warranty off the manufacturer but got no joy. Customer service is crap - (ie me!!!). my mate towed me with his landrover on a 6' strap - bugger was going 40mph - quite scary, i couldnt see a thing and had to brake him down when approaching junctions, this tested the brakes out anyway!!!! Have you ever tried to slow down a 2ton monster with a 7??????

jos

posted on 14/3/06 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Funnily enough Darren, Ive also had the nuts fall off the clutch cable at the pedal when I was finishing off my running in miles. Ive also put a longer bolt on with double nuts locked together & a nyloc just in case.

DarrenW

posted on 14/3/06 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
That makes me fell better then. Nice to know im not the only numpty!!!!!! I blame myself, nyloc wasnt engaged fully on the bolt. I tried to get wawy with using as short a bolt as possible so there was no chance of the free end fouling anything. I was probably meant to keep an eye on it but forgot!! What made it worse was that it was lashing down on Friday when it happened. Boy do those Landrovers kick up some spray!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.