Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What would you put a Rover V8 in?
donut

posted on 11/2/06 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
What would you put a Rover V8 in?

Ok, one day (the next project) I will be using a Rover V8 but I'm not sure what car to put it in. I would dearly love a Cobra but i was wondering what you guy's would put one in.

Serious suggestions only please !!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 11/2/06 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
in the rear of a mini pickup, serious answer....

seen it done a couple of times would love one myself.

mark chandler

posted on 11/2/06 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
I did this last year.

My choice would be to build something like this two seat rear engined car.

http://www.palmersport.com/cars_jaguar.htm

I will finish my Locost this year, have a 4.6 V8 under the bench so will start to look for a transaxle after the summer.

donut

posted on 11/2/06 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hubba Hubba!

I also fancy something with the engine in the back.

[Edited on 11/2/06 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 11/2/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Quite fancy this GD T70:

[Edited on 11/2/06 by donut]

Andy

Jasper

posted on 11/2/06 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah - but you wouldn't put a wheezy old RV8 in it though would you
donut

posted on 11/2/06 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
True....

Andy

Glan Noye

posted on 11/2/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone remember Nic Manns Minor?During the 80s it seemed to be competing at every event I went to,hillclimbs, circuit,and drag racing.He allways drove it home as well.Article here http://www.beardmorebros.co.uk/website%20pages/Magazine%20Articles/nm_mag_page2.htm
James

posted on 11/2/06 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Yeah - but you wouldn't put a wheezy old RV8 in it though would you

My thoughts exactly.

There are so many v8 possibilities that sticking with an engine designed in the 1950's might be doing oneself a disservice. A chevy LS1 has got to be the way to go!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

donut

posted on 11/2/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
We are not all race heads you know!

Some of us are getting old and would like to waft along on a sea of torque, maybe in one of these...

or one of these....

Andy

minordelay

posted on 11/2/06 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I love the v8 sound, and I can't wait to complete my first v8 project. Hope to use this to develop a half decent (cheap) 4.6 which is then going to go in a Locost.

The facts are that the ls1 is the way to go in terms of bang for bucks, with 500 bhp acheivable with few mods. How would that be in a locost

ed_crouch

posted on 11/2/06 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
BMW 4.0 V8 is a good engine, 286BHP out of the box, and Dinan/AC Schnitzer/Hartge/Alpina have all got much more power from it than that.

Not silly money either.

Ed.
P.S. I believe they react quite well to a supercharger too.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

minordelay

posted on 11/2/06 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I was at Jenvey dynamics a couple of weeks ago, they have an ls1 awaiting conversion. 500 might be exageration on my part but the estimated figures quoted were certainly very impressive on an otherwise standard engine. Over on the v8 forum the engine is very highly regarded and getting a little cheaper too.
To get similar power figures from a rover you would have to be very rich and it still wouldn't last, as much as I love them.

rusty nuts

posted on 11/2/06 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
A Rover P5B coupe, I'm getting old as well
jimmyjoebob

posted on 11/2/06 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
James,

Rover v8 might be old, but there is a lot of tuning potential. Look what TVR has achieved!

Much lighter than american V8s which in such a light car as a seven is important.

Ed is right - many BMWs are available cheaply with all alloy V8s.

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

minordelay

posted on 11/2/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
At the end of the day big power engines with loads of torque aren't really suitable for the locost are they, (Wheelspin)!!!!!!

Any how i'd go with the mini pick up route but I can't fit in one.

Messenjah

posted on 11/2/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
i really CAN see the point of using the Rv8

you can get an old range rover that has an engine with plenty of life left in it and a manual box for peanuts

its a cheap engine to repair because of the sheer volume of vehicles its been in and the availibility of spares

it is fairly light but bhp is moderate at best but there is alot of tourque

its not really suited to a locost but in something like a cobra or maybe a daytona its a great choice

donut dont build a cobra from talking to you on msn i know how much you really want one but it wont live up to your expectations unless you throw bucketloads of cash at it and get a really top notch one and it probably still wont its like they say never meet your heroes

build a daytona instead just as good looking and a hartop

Simon

posted on 11/2/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, if it's gonna be a Rover V8, keep it in the BL "family" - I also fancied a Triumph 2000/2500 with one fitted.

Naturally car would handle and look good without being chavvy

ATB

Simon

PS Donut, thought you were gonna drop one in your Indy

PPS Acobra needs a big V8 and 400/500 bhp IMHO

[Edited on 11/2/06 by Simon]

marcyboy

posted on 11/2/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
few years back at ed turners they had a morris oxford that looked fairly standard apart from wolfrace alloys and the rover V8 as well as a fiat 127 with a V8 where the back seats should of been,

i love the old rover V8 it is fairly dated now but its still sounds nice.
they don't push out a lot of bhp but you wouldn't need it in a kit...afterall it would go like stink with very little weight to carry compared to the old carcass it was put in, what about an old flat six jag engine
are they any good cos they where much faster than the rover V8 but don't sound quite as nice but not sure what the reliability is like on the jag engines

minordelay

posted on 11/2/06 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Just got a little info on the lsi

345 bhp std with 350 Llbs of torque, dimensions very similar smaller in some aspects.

That sort of power from a rover would not be cheap, but I must stop dreaming. I still love the rover, but they're getting harder to source now though.

Simon

posted on 11/2/06 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've posted this before but.....

http://www.chevroletls1.com/chevrolet_ls1_6_info.html

ATB

Simon

donut

posted on 11/2/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
How would you get the Ls1 running if you don't use the cars ECU? Would fitting a carb and megajolt (or similar) do the trick?

Andy

ned

posted on 11/2/06 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
if i had to use a rv8 for something i'd have a strange urge to pop one into a dolomite sprint!

i do believe they fit nicely into mx5's, say no more Andy

beware, I've got yellow skin

minordelay

posted on 11/2/06 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert on engine management but the system would need to drive 8 coils, but the systems are out there. Injection would be no different to any other engine as long as there's enough drivers. I'm sure the ms stuff would work.
Simon

posted on 11/2/06 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
For the Mini pickup, look for picks of Ray Christophers one. Saw it a couple of times about 7/8 years ago (maybe longer) at the Pestalozzi Hill Climb and Brighton Speed Trials.

Just using 1st and 4th it was as quick down the 1/4 as my old ZZR1100.

He used to make Cobra reps, so used one of those chassis and fixed a mini (f/glass?) shell to it!

ATB

Simon

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.