Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CVH engine help
robinknox

posted on 13/2/06 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
CVH engine help

Can someone tell me if a Sierra 1.8 CVH will replace a 1.3 CVH engine, ? i.e. will bellhousing bolt pattern be the same ? I will be using the Type 9 box. I am hoping it should be a straight forward swap ?
britishtrident

posted on 13/2/06 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
What in -- rwd ?
The car already has a 1400 mated to a type 9 ? - an unusual combination
Gearbox OK but rest not straight forward -- clutch and flywheel use Sierra 1800 parts it can be done new engine mounts required and the ignition system will need sorting out.

[Edited on 13/2/06 by britishtrident]

DIY Si

posted on 13/2/06 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to diverge a little, but i'm in the process of fitting an 1800 cvh. Is it worth using the standard ignition black box thingy? Is there a chaep aftermarket upgrade?
tom_loughlin

posted on 13/2/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have used a 1.8cvh engine in mine - as far as i know, there are not many upgrades at all - there are lots for the 1.6 cvh (xr2) but not 1.8.

I have used the standard ignition module thing, i can supply a very cut down list of required wires if its any use to anyone.

the enigne itself is ok, but i used it to help with the registration process , am keeping an ear to the ground about upgrading to zetec.

Tom

robinknox

posted on 13/2/06 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
The car is a Scimitar SS1 1300 CVH, but I have an 1800 CVH and was considering a transplant. I know the easier option would be to find a 1600 CVH out of an XR3 etc.........just wanted to boost the performance somewhat !
DIY Si

posted on 13/2/06 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ideally, it would be the duratec v6, but i'm making this car to sell and fund (hopefully) the next beastie. Any help on the ignition side of stuff would be gratefully recieved with hugs and kisses(if required, I'd rather they weren't). I've got a black box thing with a loads of bridged wires on it. No idea what it is or how it works. I'm used to the humble A series, not all this post 1970's stuff!!
britishtrident

posted on 13/2/06 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinknox
The car is a Scimitar SS1 1300 CVH, but I have an 1800 CVH and was considering a transplant. I know the easier option would be to find a 1600 CVH out of an XR3 etc.........just wanted to boost the performance somewhat !

1600 is better for performance the the stock 1800.
1600 CVH Xr3 carb model out of an 88/89 Orion is the best bet --- needs flywheel changed normally an 1800 Sierra one is recommended but your 1400 should fit.
The late Orions run unleaded safely and have a better head casting than the earlier Xr3 carb engines.

I've got one in my garage but am holding on to it -- here is a link formore info.

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/mainmenu.htm

Simon

posted on 13/2/06 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
It may not be much help, but I threw my 1.8 CVH into a skip. From a great height!

ATB

Simon

stevebubs

posted on 14/2/06 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
It may not be much help, but I threw my 1.8 CVH into a skip. From a great height!

ATB

Simon

I got £35 for mine....

Surrey Dave

posted on 14/2/06 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've had 5years + of motoring pleasure from mine.

It also makes an excellent springboard to Zetec installation. Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 1 vsml.jpg
Rescued attachment Carbs On Car 1 vsml.jpg

DIY Si

posted on 14/2/06 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst as always comments are appreciated, I need some help please!

Anyone know what dizzy/ignition module I need to run the 18oo CVH on twin dell'orto's? The engine is otherwise standard.

Much thanks for your help in advance lads/lasses!

Surrey Dave

posted on 14/2/06 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
1) you could link all the inlet vacuums and run the standard ignition.

2) you could fit a Zetec coilpack and a Ford Esc module and use the original TDC sensor.

3) you could fit a Zetec coilpack use the original TDC Sensor, along with an Edis4 module + Megajolt programmable control unit.

4) If you have not fitted a rear thermostat housing off a FWD CVH you may be able to fit an FWD distributor on the back of the head, the drillings and tappings are there but I dont know if the cam has the required slot.

I have used options 1 and then 3.....

[Edited on 14/2/06 by Surrey Dave]

DIY Si

posted on 14/2/06 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Dave, just the list of idiot proof options i was looking for
Just to make things even more me proof, are there any different coil packs/Esc modules? this seems the cheapest option. Or is option 4 the simplist? I'm making my own manifold and it was going to move the thermo housing to a convient place, so plenty of space at the back. If so, for anyone still awake, which dizzy's best? Sorry for all the questions, but don't want to buy the wrong thing AGAIN!!!

[Edited on 14/2/06 by DIY Si]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.