Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What weight is a Sierra shell?
brashhighlander

posted on 22/2/06 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
What weight is a Sierra shell?

Hi

Does anyone know the answer to the question above. I am about to dispose of my donor and I have managed to get my hands on a small trolley which can cope with 200kg. Will this be enough to move a bare sierra shell.

Thanks
Jim

flak monkey

posted on 22/2/06 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
At a guess no i would put the bare shell at more like 300kg (guesstimate)... But you might be ok. Depends just how bare it is...

I have heard of people moving a bare shell on 4 roller skates though, so it cant weigh too much...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

oliwb

posted on 22/2/06 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno if your planning to keep the trolley or not but if your not worried about it breaking I would go for it anyway....imagine they must build in a bit of lee-way for them! Good luck....Cheers Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
brashhighlander

posted on 22/2/06 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Problem is its not mine. Borrowed from a mate who uses it to move furniture, so I don't want to break it.

Oh well, only one way to find out.

Peteff

posted on 22/2/06 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I rolled mine out to the Hiab on two bread tray trolleys "borrowed" from the local kwik e mart, one of them is now propping my chassis up and makes a good turntable.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Locost?

posted on 22/2/06 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
It all depends on what surface you are moving it on. Me and a mate manhandled my Capri shell on to the back of a farm trailer. It was bloody heavy, I would guess at least 150kg and thats with everything removed, doors, bonnet and tailgate included. The other option is to get the big grinder on it, few hours should give you more manageable pieces.
7 in a fancy suit

posted on 22/2/06 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
About 20 minutes with a 9" grinder and a BFH will lop off the roof at the base of each pillar and a cut across the floor in either the front or rear door area gives you nice manageable pieces. I'm presuming you've taken the doors, bonnet and boot off as well.....if not.....another 5 minutes with the grinder. Many cars have left my driveway in this state.

A man gets lonely in the desert.......and bored

emsfactory

posted on 22/2/06 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Locost?
It all depends on what surface you are moving it on. Me and a mate manhandled my Capri shell on to the back of a farm trailer. It was bloody heavy, I would guess at least 150kg and thats with everything removed, doors, bonnet and tailgate included. The other option is to get the big grinder on it, few hours should give you more manageable pieces.

Weight has nout to do with surface. I weigh the same on grass as I do on concrete.

oliwb

posted on 22/2/06 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Know anyone with a four wheel drive either with a winch or not....they could just haul it out for you??? Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 22/2/06 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 7 in a fancy suit
About 20 minutes with a 9" grinder and a BFH will lop off the roof at the base of each pillar and a cut across the floor in either the front or rear door area gives you nice manageable pieces. I'm presuming you've taken the doors, bonnet and boot off as well.....if not.....another 5 minutes with the grinder. Many cars have left my driveway in this state.

A large wood axe is even quicker, you can literally halve a sierra in about 5 minutes

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Danozeman

posted on 22/2/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Could u not weld some cheap Bnq casters on the bottom?

Cut it up and have some fun

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

NS Dev

posted on 23/2/06 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I rolled mine out to the Hiab on two bread tray trolleys "borrowed" from the local kwik e mart, one of them is now propping my chassis up and makes a good turntable.

These are really good.

I have a heavy duty supermarket "cage trolley" (breadcrate trolley thingy) which I have widened and use as a bodyshell buggy, and used it to move my lathe, which is well over 1/3 tonne, so no worries there!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

brashhighlander

posted on 24/2/06 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Well I managed to move the shell without any problems. I used the skate at the back and a trolley jack at the front, so it didn't weigh as much as I thought.

It was quite funny seeing some of the neighbours looking out their windows at this cut up and bashed shell at the side of the road.

Now its time to start cleaning all the donor parts and zetec engine.

Jim

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.